Really need Post Bacc Advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LivingLife4me

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is my situation: I graduated in May 2005 with a 3.07 GPA, political science major. I took general chemistry as a freshman got a C- 🙁 and a B+, Calculus B, and chem lab B- and B. Now as I've graduated I have decided that I would like to go to med school, and have to take the prereqs first. I was originally considering a postbacc program, but because I can't take the chemover in most programs I am now leaning toward just doing the three remaining science classes on my own. My question is, does it sound like I can get into medical school with my undergrad GPA if I ace the rest of my science classes? Should I take an enrichment course? I'm really confused, and I feel as if I need to make a decision fast, b/c I could potentially be starting class in January. Thanks!
 
LivingLife4me said:
Here is my situation: I graduated in May 2005 with a 3.07 GPA, political science major. I took general chemistry as a freshman got a C- 🙁 and a B+, Calculus B, and chem lab B- and B. Now as I've graduated I have decided that I would like to go to med school, and have to take the prereqs first. I was originally considering a postbacc program, but because I can't take the chemover in most programs I am now leaning toward just doing the three remaining science classes on my own. My question is, does it sound like I can get into medical school with my undergrad GPA if I ace the rest of my science classes? Should I take an enrichment course? I'm really confused, and I feel as if I need to make a decision fast, b/c I could potentially be starting class in January. Thanks!

really would depend on how bad you did.. don't give up tho.. a lot of people are in worse position than you.. if theres a will theres a way! good luck. why wouldn't you be able to take the chem over in a formal post bac? you should be able to...
 
LivingLife4me said:
Here is my situation: I graduated in May 2005 with a 3.07 GPA, political science major. I took general chemistry as a freshman got a C- 🙁 and a B+, Calculus B, and chem lab B- and B. Now as I've graduated I have decided that I would like to go to med school, and have to take the prereqs first. I was originally considering a postbacc program, but because I can't take the chemover in most programs I am now leaning toward just doing the three remaining science classes on my own. My question is, does it sound like I can get into medical school with my undergrad GPA if I ace the rest of my science classes? Should I take an enrichment course? I'm really confused, and I feel as if I need to make a decision fast, b/c I could potentially be starting class in January. Thanks!

Hi:
I would still try to do a post-bacc program. There are some school's that will let you take science classes over, and you will then have an advantage because you have already taken the class. I am at NYU's post-bacc program right now, and I am not going to lie, it is tough but if you can do well in the program, medical schools will pay more attention to that than your undergraduate. If I were you I would call around to some programs and see if you can speak with an advisor about your questions. You do still need most of the requirements so I think that there are a lot of post-bacc programs that could be good for you. I applied to Drexel, NYU, UCONN etc....There are some schools that have enrichment programs too....I hope that helps a little, let me know if you have more questions.
Katie
 
Thanks Katie! Why did you choose NYU over the others? Also do you know anything about UCONN's contingency acceptance?