Really need some advice/help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I really need some good advice. This is my first post so I would really appreciate if someone could help me out.
I’m in a bit of a pickle…

I have a HORRIBLE OGPA of 2.85 and I recently graduated with a BS in Biology.
I have ~3 years of professional pharm exp as a certified pharm tech
I have some volunteer hours.

But, I had a medical withdrawal because of an illness I had, and then I had a relapse two years later, making me medically withdraw a 2nd time. I worked my entire way through school, totaling 30+ hours… (this was a necessity for family reasons) – I really had no option, if I didn’t do this, I would be sitting at home w/o any degree. I did this while I took ~17-18 hours/semester… because I was trying to catch up and graduate asap, since I literally lost a whole year, this made me get poor grades in classes like Orgo I & II. I retook both courses:
(lec) Orgo 1: D+ repeated: C
(lec) Orgo 2: C- repeated: C

I really want to become a pharmacist … it makes me want to throw up that I threw it all away with such a horrible gpa.

I honestly don’t know what to do… I took the pcat for a 3rd time (and actually studied so hard), but I ran out of time on both the math and chem. sections and I haven’t gotten my grade yet.

I retook the courses that I had the medical withdrawals and did fairly well A/Bs except for Bio 1 + Phys 1 + HA&P– where I got C’s – I had A’s in Bio II and Phys II.

I have read so many posts of ppl saying to bring up GPAs by retaking courses… but my q is how do the schools count the repeated grades? I’ve tried looking up pharmacy schools like Shenandoah, LECOM, Touro, UH-Hilo, TSU, etc… and there’s no mentioning of if/how the repeated grades will be counted and which schools do this.
Another option is that one take a post-bac route (+ do well), and then apply after that…
But a lot of the post-bac or Masters programs require a minimum gpa of 3.0, I don’t know who would accept me.

Regarding LORS, I could get good ones from the pharmacists I work with, but I really don’t know any professors, because I would usually left after class for work.

Yes I know… It is quite a pickle and I’m so sorry that this post is so long. I just have a lot on my mind and honestly, I’m petrified.
I would be UTTERLY grateful if someone could please respond with advice… :(

Members don't see this ad.

post-bac do not require 3.0 or greater GPA. That would defeat the purpose of using it as a second chance. Just don't apply to like Harvard/Stanford/etc post-bac or something. Just apply for it at a local CC or state university if your worried about the stigma of CC. Going grad is not a good way to go in most situations. You need to rethink your study habits and figure out a way to do well in classes. It doesn't look good to keep retaking the same class and getting Cs or lower. I would explain the situation in your personal statement without making it sound like your begging/complaining/etc.

Hi,
I really need some good advice. This is my first post so I would really appreciate if someone could help me out.

But, I had a medical withdrawal because of an illness I had, and then I had a relapse two years later, making me medically withdraw a 2nd time. I worked my entire way through school, totaling 30+ hours… (this was a necessity for family reasons) – I really had no option, if I didn’t do this, I would be sitting at home w/o any degree. I did this while I took ~17-18 hours/semester… because I was trying to catch up and graduate asap, since I literally lost a whole year, this made me get poor grades in classes like Orgo I & II. I retook both courses:

I really want to become a pharmacist … it makes me want to throw up that I threw it all away with such a horrible gpa.

I honestly don’t know what to do… I took the pcat for a 3rd time (and actually studied so hard), but I ran out of time on both the math and chem. sections and I haven’t gotten my grade yet.

I retook the courses that I had the medical withdrawals and did fairly well A/Bs except for Bio 1 + Phys 1 + HA&P– where I got C’s – I had A’s in Bio II and Phys II.

I have read so many posts of ppl saying to bring up GPAs by retaking courses… but my q is how do the schools count the repeated grades? I’ve tried looking up pharmacy schools like Shenandoah, LECOM, Touro, UH-Hilo, TSU, etc… and there’s no mentioning of if/how the repeated grades will be counted and which schools do this.
Another option is that one take a post-bac route (+ do well), and then apply after that…
But a lot of the post-bac or Masters programs require a minimum gpa of 3.0, I don’t know who would accept me.

Regarding LORS, I could get good ones from the pharmacists I work with, but I really don’t know any professors, because I would usually left after class for work.

Yes I know… It is quite a pickle and I’m so sorry that this post is so long. I just have a lot on my mind and honestly, I’m petrified.

Every course/grade is counted in your PharmCAS GPA, which is passed along to every school that you apply to thru PharmCAS. You can't leave any grades out, and they require transcript verification from every college you've attended.

Schools that don't require you to apply via PharmCAS, I'd contact personally and ask them, or do some Internet research on their websites to find out.

Also make sure to find out which schools will accept your GPA; many/most? have minimum GPAs

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you are in as bad a position as you think.

Honestly, I have a worse GPA (2.6 overall) than you and am applying this year to 6 schools that I exceed the minimum requirements.

My strategy would be / is:
-Apply the next time you can to learn the process, get feedback, etc
-Retake courses with bad grades and/or different science classes and get good grades (each school is pretty different on how they look at repeated courses, some will average them together but retaking classes with better grades can't hurt). Pick up some LORs in the process (visit office hours, talk with your profs)
-If your PCAT is bad, take it again (study as much as it takes to succeed!)
-Continue working in Pharmacy.
-Volunteer more. Find something you can be really into.
-Try not to be in such a rush. Steady forward progress / improvement is the goal. (Even slow and steady is ok, especially at first)
-Don't give up! If you are sure this is what you want.

I felt pretty similar about a year ago, and that's my take on it. Even though you might not be on the typical path to becoming a pharmacist, you can still get there! GOOD LUCK! :)

Hi,

First of all, I would like to say that I'm glad you are feeling better with your health, because remember you have to take care of yourself first...:)

I think you are beating yourself up too much...Your GPA is not that bad...One of my friends got into LECOM with a 2.7...She was feeling doubtful as well and I told her to go for it because you never know what could happen and she got accepted.....

I know that alot of schools view grades taking multiple times by students by accepting the highest grades.....

Don't worry, calm down, and relax...:sleep:

It sounds like you really want to be a pharmacist and I know it will happen, you just have to have faith and believe....

P.S. Don't worry about asking a professor for a LOR...I hardly knew mine and he wrote a very nice one about me....:)

Your GPA isn't that horrible. Mine's worse (2.62) and I got in. Do your research on schools for grade forgiveness and you can probably find anywhere from complete forgiveness to 10 year period where grades count. I ran out of time on both math and chemistry during the PCAT and I still did well enough (84th overall 2nd time, 91st overall first time). There's a school out there for you I'm sure.