Really need your guys help. What are my chances and honest opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpmannn23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im currently gonna be a graduating senior at UCI with a degree in Econ. I started taking pre reqs initially for dental my junior year just for fun, but never took any of my classes seriously. My dads a dentist and pretty much my whole extended family, brother included are doctors. Recently I've got a lot of motivation to try to pursue being a dentist, and started setting curves in my classes, but i'm afraid it may be a little too late. Currently cumulative GPA is around a 2.89, and during the summer i will be prepping for the DAT. Im confident i can do very well on the DAT, but with the low GPA is there any hope for me? Id appreciate any input or help about what i can do to strengthen my application that any of you guys can give me. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys im currently gonna be a graduating senior at UCI with a degree in Econ. I started taking pre reqs initially for dental my junior year just for fun, but never took any of my classes seriously. My dads a dentist and pretty much my whole extended family, brother included are doctors. Recently I've got a lot of motivation to try to pursue being a dentist, and started setting curves in my classes, but i'm afraid it may be a little too late. Currently cumulative GPA is around a 2.89, and during the summer i will be prepping for the DAT. Im confident i can do very well on the DAT, but with the low GPA is there any hope for me? Id appreciate any input or help about what i can do to strengthen my application that any of you guys can give me. Thanks in advance.

As some of the guys here would say, ur changes are slim the min. cut off standard is around a 3.2 min. and with that GPA one has to get 21s on the DAT so I would say IMO get that GPA up first (upward trend) then apply.

First, you want to take additional classes to get your GPA over that 3.0 mark.

Then, you gotta kill the DAT - shoot for nothing below 23.

I'd say improve the GPA. Realistically, a 2.89 GPA is below average for D-school. The material on the DAT will come from alot of your classes, so if you didn't take them seriously, you've got some work to do. Have you taken a practice DAT yet? If not, that will help ID your weak areas. I would really try to get the GPA up. And also, make sure to have a well-rounded application-shadowing, volunteer,extracurriculars etc. There is an "under 3.0" thread here, do a search and you might find some inspiration and other good tips! Good luck!