Really Needing Advice on App Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

some_legislator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my fist time posting. I've been going around in circles for months now on whether to bother applying or where to apply.... Please help!

I'm a bit of a non-traditional student. My senior year of high school, I maintained a 3.975 GPA, was a 2 varsity sport, letter-winning, State athlete, and won several acceptances and scholarships to college (top 1% SAT score). I picked a rather rigorous local private college..... and in the next 24 months my GPA dropped to around the 2.5 range. :( :( :(

My junior year, I was diagnosed with a form of autonomic nervous system failure and started aggressive steroid therapy. My GPA throughout junior year averaged at 3.4! :) But of course that's not enough to bring it up to a great range. It's currently around a 2.8/ 2.9. :(

I've had a lot of accomplishments outside of school and kept myself busy in the meantime. Last year I qualified into Mensa, and shortly thereafter became the youngest person in my county ever to win an elected office at 19 years, 2 months. So, in other respects I'm a motivated, smart individual. It's just that lurch in GPA during the time I was very sick that I fear might hold me back. Medical school is my dream, but I'm just not sure what to do. Should I even bother?

Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

You get automatically screened out when your GPA is below a 3.0. Your high school stats are irrelevant.

The only thing you can do is to do grade replacement by retaking classes that you tanked in and apply for DO. Since they take the highest grade and drop the lowest grade when factoring your GPA.