Really nice webinar series on the tenure-track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not affiliated with this group at all, but I found this really good webinar series on success on the tenure-track at R1s that I wanted to share. It's on-going, but they have two so far:

-Planning your tenure path:

-Research trajectory and productivity and the research statement:

Also, it's nice that they have different panelists for every session and show some actual P&T documents that the panelists submitted (which you can pause to read).

I did find it hilarious that they all said that they were told to shoot for 3 pubs a year when they started and then all immediately decided to shoot for 4-6 a year, because that's academia in nutshell.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
4-6 is the gateway drug to 6-12!

I'll check these out later, about to make a move and am genuinely interested in shifting how I do things. My approach has basically been to frantically "Do as many things as I can and do them good-ish." I'm competing for R01s and still don't feel like I have a research program beyond a vague topic area (shhhh, don't tell NIH). Lots of interests means lots of ideas and potential papers/grants, but constantly chasing shiny objects can be exhausting.

I also need to write more review papers. Need to bolster that citation count.

Reactions: 1 users
4-6 is the gateway drug to 6-12!

I'll check these out later, about to make a move and am genuinely interested in shifting how I do things. My approach has basically been to frantically "Do as many things as I can and do them good-ish." I'm competing for R01s and still don't feel like I have a research program beyond a vague topic area (shhhh, don't tell NIH). Lots of interests means lots of ideas and potential papers/grants, but constantly chasing shiny objects can be exhausting.

I also need to write more review papers. Need to bolster that citation count.

I'll see if I can shoehorn one or two in to my next pub. ;)