Really nice webinar series on the tenure-track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not affiliated with this group at all, but I found this really good webinar series on success on the tenure-track at R1s that I wanted to share. It's on-going, but they have two so far:

-Planning your tenure path:




-Research trajectory and productivity and the research statement:



Also, it's nice that they have different panelists for every session and show some actual P&T documents that the panelists submitted (which you can pause to read).

I did find it hilarious that they all said that they were told to shoot for 3 pubs a year when they started and then all immediately decided to shoot for 4-6 a year, because that's academia in nutshell.
 
4-6 is the gateway drug to 6-12!

I'll check these out later, about to make a move and am genuinely interested in shifting how I do things. My approach has basically been to frantically "Do as many things as I can and do them good-ish." I'm competing for R01s and still don't feel like I have a research program beyond a vague topic area (shhhh, don't tell NIH). Lots of interests means lots of ideas and potential papers/grants, but constantly chasing shiny objects can be exhausting.

I also need to write more review papers. Need to bolster that citation count.
 
4-6 is the gateway drug to 6-12!

I'll check these out later, about to make a move and am genuinely interested in shifting how I do things. My approach has basically been to frantically "Do as many things as I can and do them good-ish." I'm competing for R01s and still don't feel like I have a research program beyond a vague topic area (shhhh, don't tell NIH). Lots of interests means lots of ideas and potential papers/grants, but constantly chasing shiny objects can be exhausting.

I also need to write more review papers. Need to bolster that citation count.

I'll see if I can shoehorn one or two in to my next pub. 😉