Really screwed up my gpa :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Btemp687

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok where should I start? I started my college career as undecided at MOREHOUSE COLLEGE where I did really well and got a 3.3. Then I transfered to ST. JOHN's Univ where I got a academic scholarship and continued to do well. My major was Computer Science.... I did well in all my classes and my gpa fluctuated btwn 3.1 and 3.25. Now here comes the downward spiral.... I switched majors to PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT where I had to take basically all the pre-reqs for med school minus physics. I didnt really prepare for class nor did I study much, for the fact that I was trying to work full time hours including every weekend. I got a D in Bio 1 (didnt go 2 class) D in Orgo 2 and a F in pharmocology (2cr half yr course) (I got a D last semester in SYMBOLIC LOGIC... I studied alot for that class, but I just couldnt grasp that material. However everything else was a's and b's. I gained a interview for the clinical but my gpa wasnt a 3.0, it was a 2.94 (St. John's only) at the time of the interview. I was placed on the waiting list, but I was being realistic with myself. I wasnt gonna pay to take those classes over with teachers that didnt give a ...., especially at $950 a credit, Ill pass on that lol. I took a semester off at st. johns in fall 06' and enrolled as a non-matric student at a Comm College and repeated BIO1/2 and got A's in both. I regained admission at St. Johns last semester and now im graduating at the end of FALL 07' with a Bachelors of Science in Comp Sci. Im going to study my tushie off this semester to get 2 a's and 4 b+'s and it will up my OVERALL UG gpa to a flat 3.0 (But separate schools will be 3.3, 2.75, 4.0 )

NOW my question.... Should I continue my persuit as a doctor? As gpa isnt the only factor that makes someone "smart" enough to become a doctor. I am more of a hands on / visual learner. I feel that I am a more down to earth well rounded person that will be able to relate to patients. I know that I will be a great doctor, and I have to kill this last semester and do well in organic and physics. My weakest subject is chem stronger in Bio, Exceptional in ANATOMY/PHYS and strong in math. I just hate chem lol. Who doesnt. lol I know admcom's will ask me about my d's and f.... I will just be straight up, I didnt go to class, didnt really study, always looking up car stuff, ect. Now im more focused and this is what I want do to and I will have to sacrifice if I really want this. Im looking into med research, or becomming a volunteer emt. But If I have to quit my job at the hospital I will do so. What do you guys think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Quit the dang job. That's essential, or at least cut the hours to such a point that you can maintain a solid GPA. A job, even medically related, won't help your case as much as a better GPA will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quit the dang job. That's essential, or at least cut the hours to such a point that you can maintain a solid GPA. A job, even medically related, won't help your case as much as a better GPA will.

Im part-time and I was hired to work every weekend 730a-330p but I put in more time to make it full time. I only stayed at the job because I learned alot about medicine and what really goes on during residency. I got to see alot of procedures, codes, even autopsies. Now its like Im just going through the motions. If I feel myself being tired again this semester, im gonna quit. I can benefit from having weekends free where everyone catches up on school work.... im my case Im at work and by the time I get home, Im tired.

Ok where should I start? I started my college career as undecided at MOREHOUSE COLLEGE where I did really well and got a 3.3. Then I transfered to ST. JOHN's Univ where I got a academic scholarship and continued to do well. My major was Computer Science.... I did well in all my classes and my gpa fluctuated btwn 3.1 and 3.25. Now here comes the downward spiral.... I switched majors to PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT where I had to take basically all the pre-reqs for med school minus physics. I didnt really prepare for class nor did I study much, for the fact that I was trying to work full time hours including every weekend. I got a D in Bio 1 (didnt go 2 class) D in Orgo 2 and a F in pharmocology (2cr half yr course) (I got a D last semester in SYMBOLIC LOGIC... I studied alot for that class, but I just couldnt grasp that material. However everything else was a's and b's. I gained a interview for the clinical but my gpa wasnt a 3.0, it was a 2.94 (St. John's only) at the time of the interview. I was placed on the waiting list, but I was being realistic with myself. I wasnt gonna pay to take those classes over with teachers that didnt give a ...., especially at $950 a credit, Ill pass on that lol. I took a semester off at st. johns in fall 06' and enrolled as a non-matric student at a Comm College and repeated BIO1/2 and got A's in both. I regained admission at St. Johns last semester and now im graduating at the end of FALL 07' with a Bachelors of Science in Comp Sci. Im going to study my tushie off this semester to get 2 a's and 4 b+'s and it will up my OVERALL UG gpa to a flat 3.0 (But separate schools will be 3.3, 2.75, 4.0 )

NOW my question.... Should I continue my persuit as a doctor? As gpa isnt the only factor that makes someone "smart" enough to become a doctor. I am more of a hands on / visual learner. I feel that I am a more down to earth well rounded person that will be able to relate to patients. I know that I will be a great doctor, and I have to kill this last semester and do well in organic and physics. My weakest subject is chem stronger in Bio, Exceptional in ANATOMY/PHYS and strong in math. I just hate chem lol. Who doesnt. lol I know admcom's will ask me about my d's and f.... I will just be straight up, I didnt go to class, didnt really study, always looking up car stuff, ect. Now im more focused and this is what I want do to and I will have to sacrifice if I really want this. Im looking into med research, or becomming a volunteer emt. But If I have to quit my job at the hospital I will do so. What do you guys think I should do?

You didn't complete the Physician Assistant program and you have some scattered coursework. As you state above, you have some "convincing" to do under the best of circumstances.

The first thing that you need to do is request unofficial transcripts and compute your total undergraduate GPA. The next thing that you need to have in your hand, is a listing of every pre-med pre-req (essentially the BCMP GPA) and your grades.

The other matter to consider is how long ago was your coursework that included your "D" and "F" grades? The more remote these grades, the better for you and your "damage control". No matter how many hours of "A" that you undertake, it's going to be a long haul to get your GPA up into competitive territory for allopathic schools.

If you apply to osteopathic schools, any new and better grades in your coursework retakes will be substituted for the older poor grades. In my opinion, osteopathic is the route to go. You will still need to have a convincing explanation of your early poor performance but putting some time and good grades up will make a strong case for your dedication and aptitude for the practice of medicine.

Drop the "I hate chemistry" and "I am strong in this but weak in that" self-characterizations. If medicine is your goal, you turn any perceived weaknesses into strengths period. There is no area of medicine (or pre-medicine) that you can concede to lack of aptitude. You master everything and concede nothing as you are on a quest now, to show that you can handle a challenge and come out victorious.

You may want to take a bit of time and figure out a solid study plan that can take you through a challenging medical curriculum. Your last semester can be a good starting point with an objective apprasial of what you have done to ensure that you don't go back to your old "procrastination" habits. I know that just "maturing" is part of the process but do an analysis and figure out the rest of the picture because you want to be able to articulate this in a medical school interview. Good luck!

You didn't complete the Physician Assistant program and you have some scattered coursework. As you state above, you have some "convincing" to do under the best of circumstances.

The first thing that you need to do is request unofficial transcripts and compute your total undergraduate GPA. The next thing that you need to have in your hand, is a listing of every pre-med pre-req (essentially the BCMP GPA) and your grades.

The other matter to consider is how long ago was your coursework that included your "D" and "F" grades? The more remote these grades, the better for you and your "damage control". No matter how many hours of "A" that you undertake, it's going to be a long haul to get your GPA up into competitive territory for allopathic schools.

If you apply to osteopathic schools, any new and better grades in your coursework retakes will be substituted for the older poor grades. In my opinion, osteopathic is the route to go. You will still need to have a convincing explanation of your early poor performance but putting some time and good grades up will make a strong case for your dedication and aptitude for the practice of medicine.

Drop the "I hate chemistry" and "I am strong in this but weak in that" self-characterizations. If medicine is your goal, you turn any perceived weaknesses into strengths period. There is no area of medicine (or pre-medicine) that you can concede to lack of aptitude. You master everything and concede nothing as you are on a quest now, to show that you can handle a challenge and come out victorious.

You may want to take a bit of time and figure out a solid study plan that can take you through a challenging medical curriculum. Your last semester can be a good starting point with an objective apprasial of what you have done to ensure that you don't go back to your old "procrastination" habits. I know that just "maturing" is part of the process but do an analysis and figure out the rest of the picture because you want to be able to articulate this in a medical school interview. Good luck!

Procrastination definately is something I need to work on, but when I get started, I dont stop until perfection. I dont know its weird.

My OVERALL computed gpa for ALL classes taken is a 2.93 right now and if I attain my goal this final semester I can get back to a flat 3.0 I know thats not competitive for US allopathic schools so I probally wouldnt even bother to apply. But I will apply to DO and Carribean schools.

I completed the pre-reqs for the physician assistant program, I was on the waiting list for the 2yrs didactic/clinical portion. I only switched back to computer science to get my bachelors. However I know why I didnt do well in some of those classes for pre-pa. It was a combination of factors.

As for general chem I understand it just fine I got b's in both.... its ORGANIC thats harder to grasp. I havent met any resident that either liked it nor remember any of it. One resident had a masters in chemistry and he couldnt even remember it lol (I asked him to help me with my hw) I know its going to take more to excel in that subject and a smaller class will definately help.

I know I will have to explain some grades in the interviews, Im not afraid to address them either. But basically I would have a better shot at D.O. and carribean schools than I would have at US allopathic schools.