reallyy upset/crazy school situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I find that usually name calling resolves these problems nicely.

i usually resort to that. :meanie: but i envisioned a group of monkeys all flinging poop at each other if i started that **** storm!

you're right, dvmorbust, it got a little repetitive; i was only answering the questions that she posed on a public forum, albeit a few days late. but i won't believe for a second that the OP "learned her lesson" after a few critiques on a website. maybe a few extra posts won't teach it to her, but she needs to understand that her actions are not ok. i think she really admires some people on this board (she speaks respectfully, if not well), and hopefully opinions will help her out. i see no reason to cease discussion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no, i have never had a professor or department reschedule an exam for me THREE TIMES, not showed up for any of them, waited two entire weeks to contact anybody about it, and was consequently upset with my grade of "Incomplete." they were astonishingly generous by not giving you an F after your first rescheduled absence. in fact, it shows serious character flaws that it is ok with you to expect an entire department to revolve around you, your schedule, and your whim. obviously, i do not mean your first absence of the actual exam; whatever your dire situation was, i'm sure it warranted an absence. but to drag that out an entire semester? all that shows is lack of responsibility.

you have not been accused of murder. you have been accused of not showing up for a rescheduled exam. THREE TIMES. and you are guilty of not showing up for an exam three times. again, you are extremely lucky you haven't already been given the F.

if you're still reading, i highly suggest some leisure reading to become more familiar with the english language. no one is perfect, but your errors make your already convoluted posts incredibly difficult to read.

dvmorbust: wildlifesaver's critics are invaluable at this point. no one (that i have seen) has been derogatory or unnecessarily harsh. this person's actions, at least as its been presented to us, are absolutely unwarranted. a drastic change is necessary to survive in life, let alone get into vet school. hopefully, this person will stick around and learn some things from people here. appeasement by simply stating that this thread is "pointless" and the lesson has been learned will get the OP nowhere.

best of luck to you wildlifesaver.
I would just like to add that I am very good at writing. My post, however, wasn't meant to be reedited and made for a english paper. I know many times on sdn, I do just write whatever without thinking about it because it doesn't matter. THIS IS SDN!!!!! If you are so worried about how people percieve you on here, I wonder how you are in real life..god..not going to find out! Both of my COM101/102 are As. My professor was very pleased with my writings. I wonder if you are saying this because some other people have or I just can't write. This seems like a group psychological thing if you ask me, where everyone feeds off of what others believe and get them to believe it too. I know my post wasn't great already, but it was a very confusing story and your comments are just like alot of others.
 
i usually resort to that. :meanie: but i envisioned a group of monkeys all flinging poop at each other if i started that **** storm!

you're right, dvmorbust, it got a little repetitive; i was only answering the questions that she posed on a public forum, albeit a few days late. but i won't believe for a second that the OP "learned her lesson" after a few critiques on a website. maybe a few extra posts won't teach it to her, but she needs to understand that her actions are not ok. i think she really admires some people on this board (she speaks respectfully, if not well), and hopefully opinions will help her out. i see no reason to cease discussion.
Now, are you being sarcastic?
 
I don't know if is because I feel very overwhelmed and depressed, but everyone's negative comments just aren't helping at all. I understand what I have done. I made some mistakes with this mess, but I had some real legitimate situations that occurred as well in the mix.

At this point, I don't even feel like I belong to whatever this is (community) on sdn. I am feeling like I should just delete my account, but again, maybe some of you will respect me more later in the future. The veterinary world is small and much smaller then we think. Some of you, I know for a fact if I pursue this goal, will bump into you someday. I enjoying reading peoples stories and sharing experiences while helping others with advice.

to Emio: "wildlifesaver's critics are invaluable at this point. no one (that i have seen) has been derogatory or unnecessarily harsh. this person's actions, at least as its been presented to us, are absolutely unwarranted. a drastic change is necessary to survive in life, let alone get into vet school. hopefully, this person will stick around and learn some things from people here. appeasement by simply stating that this thread is "pointless" and the lesson has been learned will get the OP nowhere."

My ctitics are not invaluable. Hmm, if they were, why do you state "this person will stick around and learn some things from people here."
I learn from my life actions. People sharing on sdn can help them think about things, but it doesn't necessarily tech them life. This is a supplment.

You are not the dean, the professor, my father or anyone else in my life that can give me such critisum for being "absolutely unwarranted".

Also, who said my life was all like this or my school history or performance? You have no idea who I am.

For you to question I will probberly not get into vet school becasue of this, is just messed up and very low of you.

I respect a ton of people on sdn, but your comments, to be honest, are not sensible nor show any leadership at all.
 
I hate to mention it, but your writing reminds me of students who learned English after another language. I commend you for obtaining A's in entry level communication classes, but some of your posts are difficult to read. I know that we all relax syntax while on forums, unfortunatly at times it makes what you write confusing.

Also, you put this situation out on a forum, then react badly when people are not supportive of you and your position. If you didn't want people to comment, perhaps it would be best to keep the situation to yourself. I would be incredibly upset if another student received multiple oppurtunities to complete the exam that I had to finish on time. While I can empathize with you, I can also empathize with the professor, the department staff and the other students at your school.

If you want to correct the incomplete, the only people you can work with is the staff at your school. If you want to commiserate over the challenges you face while in school, then you may have to share the challenges, or only mention that you are experiencing challenges rather than blaming others, like a professor, the department staff, and the school.

We all face issues that others aren't going to understand or empathize with. I am sorry that you feel unsupported, but as many on here have proven, only you can determine your path and whether it include vet school. We can only offer opinions on what may help you to progress on that path.
 
I hate to mention it, but your writing reminds me of students who learned English after another language. I commend you for obtaining A's in entry level communication classes, but some of your posts are difficult to read. I know that we all relax syntax while on forums, unfortunatly at times it makes what you write confusing.

Also, you put this situation out on a forum, then react badly when people are not supportive of you and your position. If you didn't want people to comment, perhaps it would be best to keep the situation to yourself. I would be incredibly upset if another student received multiple oppurtunities to complete the exam that I had to finish on time. While I can empathize with you, I can also empathize with the professor, the department staff and the other students at your school.

If you want to correct the incomplete, the only people you can work with is the staff at your school. If you want to commiserate over the challenges you face while in school, then you may have to share the challenges, or only mention that you are experiencing challenges rather than blaming others, like a professor, the department staff, and the school.

We all face issues that others aren't going to understand or empathize with. I am sorry that you feel unsupported, but as many on here have proven, only you can determine your path and whether it include vet school. We can only offer opinions on what may help you to progress on that path.
I did put this situation on a forum. I also said, that I regretted it after I posted it. I am not reacting badly to everyone. I think Emio comment was out of context though.

I talked to the professor tonight. He told me that his credibility is questioned now and it has to go up with the dean. It really has to do with the lady that has been taking care of this...So, now, a lot of professors know about this since it is the math/science department. I know a lot of my teachers know me and some of the problems as well. I feel so bad about this, that I might not go up to the school tomorrow to try and talk to the dean because I do not want to **** over my professor. He was a good teacher overall, and does not deserve it one bit.

I never blamed my professor, but it could have been handled better though. I just wanted to try and tell the entire story even if some things made me sound bad. I am just trying to be honest, to get the honest opinion?😕

I have exams next week and I am having a real hard time studying because I feel so bad about this situation.
 
They are really ripping into your writing. Ouch.

I hate to mention it, but your writing reminds me of students who learned English after another language. I commend you for obtaining A's in entry level communication classes, but some of your posts are difficult to read

harsh.

If it makes you feel better, your writing is much better then mine.
 
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a crappy semester, but know it's not the end of the world! I was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago for orgo I, which I would say is worse to f*ck up in than math. I got an A on my first exam, but come a few days before the 2nd exam, my best friend had a seizure during lab right in front of me:scared:. I rushed over to the hospital in an ambulance with her, and spent the next few days by her side in the hospital. I talked (or rather bawled) to my professor, and being the sweetest person that he is, he said that I could just not take this exam and he'd count my third exam twice given that I do fine on this portion of the cumulative final.

Well, come the third exam I was dealing with a debilitating medical issue of my own which kept me out of lectures for all my courses for over a month. Because of this, I slept through my third exam 🙁. At this point, I had no choice but to withdraw from the course. It was very unfortunate because I had worked my ass off and finished the lab portion of the course with an A-. I could have had a very decent grade for such an important course, but I ended up with a WDR... poo...

But since then, I retook the course and ended with an A-, and also got and A- for orgo II. I also took 8 more upper level science courses beyond pre-vet requirements, and got 3 A's, 3 A-'s, and 2 B+'s. I proved that I could excel with a heavy science courseload, and also that my one WDR was the anomally. case closed. I don't think it even matters anymore. I actually forgot all of this happened until I read your post. 😛

Anyway, I know it really sucks right now (it certainly did for me then), but you're actually in full control of your situation. You can either take the F, take responsibility for your actions, and move on; or whine and confront the dept/school admin and probably still end up with an F. Don't let the F scare you into becoming desperate and immature. Let your F become a conversation starter. If anything, your extenuating circumstances makes you unique right? As long as you can show that you're capable of excelling academically, your situation can make you stand out.

It's your choice how you want to present yourself. You can either portray yourself as an inspirational person who's pulled through hardships with passion and drive, or an irresponsible person who blames life circumstances for his/her failures. No one is perfect, and most people have gone through rough patches in their lives that put a blemish or two on their applications, and adcoms know that. They don't care so much that you have these blemishes, but how you've dealt with them. I know I've definitely got a ding or two on my application, but that's not who I am, and I'll make sure that adcoms don't see them as who I am either.

Again, I'm sorry you had such a horrible semester, and I hope things start looking up for you.
 
your most recent post was much more comprehensible. thank you.

though it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. i'm not singling you out and attacking you; you singled yourself out, and i answered your questions. yes, i added some comments, because i really think you need to hear them, and i'm a little sick of people treading so lightly around here because they're scared to offend anybody. i'm not looking to make enemies; i agree, if you do pursue the field, it's possible we'll meet up someday. i'm not looking to make bad blood, just giving some much needed criticism.

next, it is beyond me how a comment designed to help other people understand you by encouraging you to write better can be construed as me being "so worried about how people perceive" me. i'll leave that one alone.

in reference to your last post: i said "invaluable," not "unvaluable." the former, according to Google's definitions means "having incalculable monetary, intellectual, or spiritual worth." it means that the comments made should be worth a great deal to you, and hopefully you will learn something from the people here.

never did i make the claim to be your dean. when you speak with the dean, i would be very interested to hear their response.

neither did i suggest that you "probberly" won't get into vet school. it does upset me that a vet class sometime in the future will have a student who thinks it's ok to repeatedly not show up to exams and expect accommodation. however, if you say you've learned your lesson and will no longer put your whims above your grades, entire departments' and professors' recommendations, and other students' respect for their own coursework, then i applaud you and wish you the best.

and just for the record, i also thought you were an ESL student, which is why i suggested reading books written in english. successful use of the language is immensely helpful to a person when looking to accurately portray situations and emotions. it also makes you look good when you, like me, so desperately crave other people's approval.
 
you're right, dvmorbust, it got a little repetitive; i was only answering the questions that she posed on a public forum, albeit a few days late. but i won't believe for a second that the OP "learned her lesson" after a few critiques on a website. maybe a few extra posts won't teach it to her, but she needs to understand that her actions are not ok.

Yeah, I guess I didn't word my entry the best. I don't think that a few responses on a forum would necessarily teach a lesson, rather that the whole situation not actually working out in favor of the individual in the middle of it would teach the lesson...if you screw up, but it works out OK, you don't really learn anything unless you're active about it. If you screw up, and it doesn't work out, you learn something - especially if it's reaffirmed by people who tell you you screwed up, but mostly from the real-life consequences. So, since I don't think a few critiques on the internet would lead someone to 'learn a lesson', I definitely don't think a few MORE will...if that makes sense.

Wildlifesaver - I recommend that you do what you can to get away from this situation while you're taking finals. Obviously, you need to interact with your university to get this situation sorted out (whether that's getting the grade officially or whatever) - but perhaps taking a break from SDN and just buckling down until they're done would be a good idea. I'm sure if you come back with some questions about how to not get in this situation in the future, or how to deal with it before it hits this point again, you'll find more than enough help - but right now you've got classes that you CAN finish on time, and keep your GPA as up as possible.

Edit to add: Take your break After you read Minnerbelle's post again, because I think it's beautifully written.
 
yes, i added some comments, because i really think you need to hear them, and i'm a little sick of people treading so lightly around here because they're scared to offend anybody. i'm not looking to make enemies

Perfectly said. People post situations. We all powwow about it. Sometimes most responders commiserate with the situation. Sometimes responders don't see the OP's side of things and add a different perspective. In either case, we're still trying to help. It may not be perceived that way, but that's the truth of it. Not everyone's going to always agree. That doesn't mean we're bad people or have it out for anyone. We just see things differently. To the OP, by stepping back and examining the situation from another person's perspective two things could happen. 1) You decide you were still correct. 2) You learn something new and gain new insight. Either way, there's no downside to it. Especially when the alternate perspectives are offered without malice, as I truly believe has been done here.

Except for vnair2. He's obviously just a troublemaker. 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trolling SDN and instigating fights is a great way to distract myself from finals. What else am I going to do with my free time...study?

No, definitely don't study. That's never a good idea. (I'd also like to say, while I'm derailing this thread, that some people post snarky, inflammatory comments on these threads that are just plain annoying, but yours always amuse me.) Troll away, my friend.
 
I replied earlier on the thread but I can't help comparing this thread to the "successful underdog stories" thread that was recently bumped.
 
No, definitely don't study. That's never a good idea. (I'd also like to say, while I'm derailing this thread, that some people post snarky, inflammatory comments on these threads that are just plain annoying, but yours always amuse me.) Troll away, my friend.

Much appreciated. You have now replaced porn as my favorite thing on the internet.
 
Wow. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Dirty, I think.

I would say that diry is probably the appropriate feeling. Try to see past the creepiness and just take it as a complement.

Or as another option, try to pretend this interaction never happened.

Whichever works.
 
your most recent post was much more comprehensible. thank you.

though it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. i'm not singling you out and attacking you; you singled yourself out, and i answered your questions. yes, i added some comments, because i really think you need to hear them, and i'm a little sick of people treading so lightly around here because they're scared to offend anybody. i'm not looking to make enemies; i agree, if you do pursue the field, it's possible we'll meet up someday. i'm not looking to make bad blood, just giving some much needed criticism.

next, it is beyond me how a comment designed to help other people understand you by encouraging you to write better can be construed as me being "so worried about how people perceive" me. i'll leave that one alone.

in reference to your last post: i said "invaluable," not "unvaluable." the former, according to Google's definitions means "having incalculable monetary, intellectual, or spiritual worth." it means that the comments made should be worth a great deal to you, and hopefully you will learn something from the people here.

never did i make the claim to be your dean. when you speak with the dean, i would be very interested to hear their response.

neither did i suggest that you "probberly" won't get into vet school. it does upset me that a vet class sometime in the future will have a student who thinks it's ok to repeatedly not show up to exams and expect accommodation. however, if you say you've learned your lesson and will no longer put your whims above your grades, entire departments' and professors' recommendations, and other students' respect for their own coursework, then i applaud you and wish you the best.

and just for the record, i also thought you were an ESL student, which is why i suggested reading books written in english. successful use of the language is immensely helpful to a person when looking to accurately portray situations and emotions. it also makes you look good when you, like me, so desperately crave other people's approval.

I can really write well, while being intellectual and creative, but I am lazy sometimes when I think its not important.

Yes, the vet field is too small, and I just want to have friends with connections, not enemies.. Although this journey is up to me if I want to be accepted to veterinary medical school, everyone that you look up to in the field is connected in some way or another even if we aren't the same specialties. For me, I want to be a wildlife vet, and I am going to need all the help in the field to make conversational efforts with many different professionals. One person cannot do it themselves..

To re-quote myself: "so worried about how people perceive"
I was angry and I am sorry that I made that comment about you. I thought you were ripping me apart in a not constructive way more then anyone that has posted. Also, I agree that we should not just baby people when they need the truth. I just got too defensive.

Eh, invaluable😕 I look at that word like its not valuable. Sorry, I misunderstood.

I think I have a good chance if I approach this in the correct manner. I have to be mature, explain what really happened, have my documentation, apologize for many things, what I have learned, that my teacher was in fact helpful and this was in fact a big miscommunication/misunderstanding problem and its no ones fault, but but mine really..Should take most responsibility and ask nicely that I can still take it...
 
I did put this situation on a forum. I also said, that I regretted it after I posted it. I am not reacting badly to everyone. I think Emio comment was out of context though.

I talked to the professor tonight. He told me that his credibility is questioned now and it has to go up with the dean. It really has to do with the lady that has been taking care of this...So, now, a lot of professors know about this since it is the math/science department. I know a lot of my teachers know me and some of the problems as well. I feel so bad about this, that I might not go up to the school tomorrow to try and talk to the dean because I do not want to **** over my professor. He was a good teacher overall, and does not deserve it one bit.

I never blamed my professor, but it could have been handled better though. I just wanted to try and tell the entire story even if some things made me sound bad. I am just trying to be honest, to get the honest opinion?😕

I have exams next week and I am having a real hard time studying because I feel so bad about this situation.


I've been following silently along but now I have to speak up....go to the meeting!! Don't skip out again, it will only make you look like you are running from your problems. I'm sure you can defend your teacher and let the dean know it was not his fault. At this point you should defend your teacher for being incredibly accommodating and generous.

My 2 cents!
 
This thread has now come full circle 4 times. :poke:

Hey Vnair, now i know where i know you from..xtube! Dirty, dirty. :hijacked:
 
Eh, invaluable😕 I look at that word like its not valuable. Sorry, I misunderstood.

A good example of how the written word can be misleading. I agree with the most recent post; go to the meeting, in person.

And I admittedly skim (or skip..which is why I'm just reading this thread) most of your posts because I, too, have trouble making sense of them... Did you say that you are ESL or no?

ETA: well, it was the most recent post when I started typing this =p
 
A good example of how the written word can be misleading. I agree with the most recent post; go to the meeting, in person.

And I admittedly skim (or skip..which is why I'm just reading this thread) most of your posts because I, too, have trouble making sense of them... Did you say that you are ESL or no?

ETA: well, it was the most recent post when I started typing this =p
I am not ESL.
 
I've been following silently along but now I have to speak up....go to the meeting!! Don't skip out again, it will only make you look like you are running from your problems. I'm sure you can defend your teacher and let the dean know it was not his fault. At this point you should defend your teacher for being incredibly accommodating and generous.

My 2 cents!
I have to do this even though it is a hard thing. I had so much anxiety in my chest trying to work up enough courage to confront my teacher today.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This might be the end. Today, I talked to the dean about the situation. He wasn't aware of what was going on, so I had to start from scratch. I am really happy that the secretory wasn't there, because I would of told her to kindly leave anyway.

So, here is what happened to me today...I had everything prepared with my story, my documentations and about how many professors felt in the department. I explained that I take full responsibility for my actions and the dean understood. Also, when I explained I was going through a lot of hard times and if he wanted to see the documentation that they were right heere, but he didn't need to see it because he told me that he believes me. The final thing that was said was "if your professor has no problem with you taking the test, then I do not see a problem with it at all". When I spoke to my professor last night, he said if the dean said if it was ok, I can take the test. I think this means that I will be allowed to take it. I want to explain a lot to my professor and give him a apology for everything that has happened tomorrow when he teaches his statistics class. I feel like I am doing the right thing, not just for myself, but for my professor.

The only thing that really bothers me now is the rudeness of the secratary and I want to really tell my teacher everything (and apologize). Another huge thing that really ticks me is the secratary had to seep gossip about me to everyone in the math/science department.
 
I just saw this, and you can beat me up for my opinion here if you want but....

I have been a professor at a community college for 9 years. I read your very first email in its entirety. I would have probably given you one extension on a dealine. One. Not two, and definitely not three.

We as prof's get burned a lot by students' excuses for a lot of reasons. And yours may have been heart-wrenching and sincere. But you get beat up by it long enough, you lose extreme flexibility. You get hosed over, you get taken advantage of. It is a complete pain in my tail to jump through hoops for students who miss deadlines. I'm a busy person too. I have a life. Plus it's so much eaiser to grade all assignements that are identical together, you get in a rhythm grading.

Sure, I'll give you one benefit of the doubt. But two? Nope. Three, no way in heck. The college didn't have to give it to you either in the first place.
 
I want to explain a lot to my professor and give him a apology for everything that has happened tomorrow when he teaches his statistics class. I feel like I am doing the right thing, not just for myself, but for my professor.

The only thing that really bothers me now is the rudeness of the secratary and I want to really tell my teacher everything (and apologize). Another huge thing that really ticks me is the secratary had to seep gossip about me to everyone in the math/science department.

I think you're on the right path. I'm sure your professor will appreciate your efforts to clear up any misunderstandings that have arisen because of this. And I might even send him a thank-you note when this whole mess is over.

And no matter how it all went down, the secretary is being rather unprofessional if she is discussing your situation with people who have no role in it!
 
Good luck on your exam. Thank your professor; you probably don't need to explain at this point (he probably enabled the opportunity because he already knows.) As much as the secretary has upset you, I am not sure I would even bother bringing up her part in any of this. Gossip doesn't occur due to a single peron; other individuals must listen for gossip to occur. If others are participating, your comments may just wander around through the grapevine and be misinterpreted, just creating more tension and strife for yourself.
 
This might be the end. Today, I talked to the dean about the situation. He wasn't aware of what was going on, so I had to start from scratch. I am really happy that the secretory wasn't there, because I would of told her to kindly leave anyway.

So, here is what happened to me today...I had everything prepared with my story, my documentations and about how many professors felt in the department. I explained that I take full responsibility for my actions and the dean understood. Also, when I explained I was going through a lot of hard times and if he wanted to see the documentation that they were right heere, but he didn't need to see it because he told me that he believes me. The final thing that was said was "if your professor has no problem with you taking the test, then I do not see a problem with it at all". When I spoke to my professor last night, he said if the dean said if it was ok, I can take the test. I think this means that I will be allowed to take it. I want to explain a lot to my professor and give him a apology for everything that has happened tomorrow when he teaches his statistics class. I feel like I am doing the right thing, not just for myself, but for my professor.

The only thing that really bothers me now is the rudeness of the secratary and I want to really tell my teacher everything (and apologize). Another huge thing that really ticks me is the secratary had to seep gossip about me to everyone in the math/science department.


Good for you!! Now breathe a great big sigh of relief....and do well on the test! I agree about doing something for the teacher- a thank you card? Gift certificate to a local restaurant? Not sure but I think a big thank you is in order. Congrats on getting it worked out and good luck on the exam! 👍