Reapp after early withdrawal from foreign school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapphopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the requirement to list previous matriculation and will it automatically reduce my chances even further?
In desperation, I accepted an offer to perhaps the largest Carib school and discovered in short order: how my US apps were lacking and where I needed to improve my background to do well in addition to my inability to adapt to the local climate and residual fears of attempting to match (already well past 30 yo) if able to overcome the aforementioned obstacles. To re-iterate, my early scores were not to my liking and I choose to leave after just a few weeks to reduce my losses.
If I greatly improve my MCAT and take further coursework this year to improve my background knowledge, spec. biochem and anatomy, how will the previous matriculation work against me?
Please do not spend time on the honesty issue, I have read through all of those posts and that is not my question. Before investing in a new application cycle I would like to know why do they want to know and how will it hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

what are your current scores? carib schools have a horrendous attrition, and we need to help determine whether you were one of the many who can't cut it vs. one of the many that got screwed. it definitely isn't going to help.

Do you mean the scores which did not net me a US seat in the first place or the ones that woke me up to the realization that my preparation was lacking? I was not remediated, but my confidence was shaken to the point where I opted to take a refund on my tuition even before mid-terms came up.

Members don't see this ad :)
i mean what is your current gpa and mcat that you would be applying to US schools with? And i understand that you had a change in heart, but what makes you think you can handle it now? Not trying to challenge you, but it is an answer that will have to be spot on for adcoms if you are ever going to have even a little chance.

Do you really think US schools talk to Caribbean schools.

I don't know, but not sure it is worth the risk. What if you ran into a former aquaintance in residency down the road? Don't think I wan't to worry about it. I just wondered about the purpose of the disclosure to be able to respond appropriately when questioned about it.

i mean what is your current gpa and mcat that you would be applying to US schools with? And i understand that you had a change in heart, but what makes you think you can handle it now? Not trying to challenge you, but it is an answer that will have to be spot on for adcoms if you are ever going to have even a little chance.
Challenge is good, but that would be the point of taking further prep coursework and properly studying for the MCAT which I previously approached with a "get it over with" attitude while working, etc. Obviously, I am aware how big a mistake that was.

What is the purpose of the requirement to list previous matriculation and will it automatically reduce my chances even further?
In desperation, I accepted an offer to perhaps the largest Carib school and discovered in short order: how my US apps were lacking and where I needed to improve my background to do well in addition to my inability to adapt to the local climate and residual fears of attempting to match (already well past 30 yo) if able to overcome the aforementioned obstacles. To re-iterate, my early scores were not to my liking and I choose to leave after just a few weeks to reduce my losses.
If I greatly improve my MCAT and take further coursework this year to improve my background knowledge, spec. biochem and anatomy, how will the previous matriculation work against me?
Please do not spend time on the honesty issue, I have read through all of those posts and that is not my question. Before investing in a new application cycle I would like to know why do they want to know and how will it hurt me?

I withdrew from a school in the Caribbean and I am applying DO this upcoming cycle. We'll see how it goes... I don't think our situation is a horrible thing. I think that our life experience living in a foreign country, etc... is valuable. I didn't go to the Caribbean because my stats were bad, however. I went because I am from PR and many, many PR physicians are trained in the Dom. Rep. so the stigma isn't as high, plus I needed to do my pre-med quickly (I changed careers). However, I left for reasons similar to yours....the school wasn't up to my level of expectation among other factors.
Best of luck to you! PM me if you need anything!

It shouldn't hurt your chances, as long as you can explain why you went and why you left to an adcom. Also, improving your scores would be a big help.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughtful responses piojita63 and AliceNWndrlnd.

Last edited:
I am thinking about Carib. Why is there a problem. I have C in Organic an dI am worried about my GPA dur to Organic and lots of B.

I am thinking about Carib. Why is there a problem. I have C in Organic an dI am worried about my GPA dur to Organic and lots of B.

Below average students in undergrad can remediate. Below average students in the Caribbean drop out with crushing debt.

Do you think an academic miracle will happen once you start medical school?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk