1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Reapp List Help

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by wasteofspace323, Aug 5, 2015.

1. wasteofspace323

Medical Student (Accepted)
    35/3.9 are my stats.

My current list is:
    Reach
    Case Western
    U Virginia

Target
    U Iowa
    Boston U
    Rochester
    U Colorado
    U Cincinati
    Saint Louis
    U Miami
    Tufts
    Wake Forest

Safety
    Temple U
    Jefferson Rush U
    George Washington
    VA Commonwealth
    Rosalind Franklin
    Loyola
    Albany
    Ohio State
    Pittsburg

Reapp
    UAB*
    USA*

DO
    ACOM*
    VCOM*
    Des Moines
    Kansas City

*In State

I feel the reason I was rejected last year was because of my poor interviews and significant lack of clinical experiences. I've been working on that this year and i'm reapplying with a job in the ER and i'm working heavily on improving my interview skills. I based this list on a similar thread on the front page because i'm completely ignorant about this sort of thing. I would appreciate any criticism. I plan to spend all weekend pre-writing secondaries once i've decided on a permanent list. If anyone has good DO recommendations I would be grateful because I really don't know anything about them.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should add more "safety" schools since you were not accepted in the previous cycle. You have several state public schools (Ohio, Colorado, Iowa, Virginia) that strongly prefer their own state residents. Also Pittsburgh is not a "safety" school. Consider adding these schools to increase your chance for an acceptance somewhere:
    Quinnipiac
    New York Medical College
    Drexel
    Georgetown
    Oakland Beaumont
    Western Michigan
    Creighton
    Tulane
    You should be fine for DO schools.

4. md-2020

md-2020 The Immaculate Catch
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    3.9/35, LizzyM=74

Did you apply broadly? Early enough? How many II's did you get? Those are some seriously strong stats for a reapp.

5. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I suggest:

I suggest the following. The ones in bold do not apply to if you are weak in research.

U VM

U Toledo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Dartmouth

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

Baylor

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

Your state school(s).

6. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    For all those in the WAMC forum who don't think a lack of clinical exposure can even keep the best applicants out and scoff at the notion here is yet another exhibit

If your interview skills have improved I do think you'll find a lot more success this time around OP. Follow Goros list

7. wasteofspace323

I have a significant amount of time performing research and a strong LoR from the professor I spent doing so under, however I have no publications. Should I go ahead and assume i'm considered weak in research?

In terms of new medical schools that aren't a branch of a heavily in-state favoring school (Dell, etc.), i'm seeing California Northstate, Cooper, and Western Michigan. I will go ahead and add these to my list unless otherwise specified. If there are any that I missed or misinterpreted, I would be grateful for input.

I've added those to my list, thanks. Some of those I applied at last year (3) and I am trying to avoid reapplication as much as possible.

My understanding was that Colorado (36% oos) and Ohio (44%) and Iowa (33%) were pretty good chances for an OOS because they accepted a significant number. If you feel this is wrong though I am willing to remove them.

8. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is no harm in applying to those schools but many of those OOS applicants who are accepted have connections to those states (attended college in the state, parents are legacies, etc.). You are much more likely to be accepted to your own state schools rather than another state's public school.

9. wasteofspace323

I understand. You're probably right. I interviewed at all of my instate medical schools, but I was only put on the wait list. This year was an uncommonly difficult year for waitlisted individuals in my state, as usually about half of both lists get in, but this year only about 1/6th or less did. This is just my interpretation, but if you don't get in with stats like mine and you interviewed poorly, I imagine they perceive they found something wrong with your core personality thus it would be hard to get reconsidered. Obviously you can portray yourself differently at an interview at a different school, but I don't think that ADCOMs like to think that interviews are simply a test of "interview skills" that you can improve just as easily, if not more so, than achieving clinical experience or improving one's MCAT.

10. LuluLovesMe

LuluLovesMe Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Of the New York schools, which is most forgiving of not as much research experience? I notice you did not bold Cornell or Sinai

11. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'd say:

Rochester
    Hofstra
    SUNY Upstate
    SNY DS
    SUNY Buffalo
    NYITCOM
    Touro-NY
    Albany
    NYMC

Cornell and Sinai weren't on the list, but are major research powerhouses. All the NYC MD schools are, with the probably exception of SUNY DS.