MD & DO Reapp x3: 511 MCAT, 3.58 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapp7946

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going anon for this post..

After much deliberation, I have decided to reapply for the 2018 cycle after two unsuccessful cycles. Any advice on deficiencies in my application and a school list would be greatly appreciated!

First application cycle (2016):

3.58 cGPA
3.48 sGPA
MCAT 28 (8/10/10) [67th percentile]
PA Resident, ORM
LAC

Clinical Experience:
  • 200 hours (3 months) PT employment as pharmacy technician
  • 130 hours (2x 3 months) clinical volunteering in large inner city hospital
  • 70 hours (1 semester) clinical volunteering in rural hospital

Research Experience:
  • 2 years FT employment as research technician at hospital; includes one middle author publication and a poster presentation
  • 1 year undergraduate research assistant; includes campus poster presentation and national conference poster presentation

Shadowing Experience:
  • 60 hours on pediatric sports medicine outpatient unit with attending physicians, fellow, athletic trainer
  • Small amount of shadowing as clinical volunteer with truma/ortho/anesthesiology/critical care

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • Minimal volunteering with school club and sparse volunteering through current research job

Other ECs:
  • Worked at Dairy Queen throughout HS and continued during winter/summer breaks in college
  • Worked PT at Lowe's (3 months)
  • Member/treasurer/VP/president in pre-health club (7 semesters)
  • Worked for bio department setting up labs (5 semesters)

Honors/Awards:
  • Omicron Delta Kappa (leadership honor society)
  • Dean’s List (7 semesters)

School list
Commonwealth
Drexel
George Washington
Jefferson
Penn
Penn State
Pitt
Quinnipiac
Temple
Tufts
University of Maryland
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Complete in August at all schools. I received one II relatively early in the cycle and was subsequently rejected. Most rejections were received February through May.

Second application cycle (2017):

• Retook the MCAT and scored 511 (126/126/129/130) [86th percentile]
  • Added another middle author publication
  • Volunteered with an physical activity-based youth development program (100 hours)
  • Continued working research position

School list
Brown
Commonwealth
Drexel
George Washington
Jefferson
Mayo
Ohio State
Penn
Penn State
Pitt
Temple
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Complete at all schools by early September. Received one II (same school as last year) and have been deferred since January; waiting for pre-II decisions from 5 schools. After receiving my improved MCAT score in June, I received conflicting advice from old professors and my pre-med advisor about applying to DO schools. Regrettably, I opted not to apply because I mistakenly believed that submitting the primary app in September would be detrimental.

This spring, I am continuing to volunteer with the youth development program and will begin volunteering at a children's hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Your school list is the problem.... Only 13 schools, 5 of which you are virtually noncompetitive (Penn, Pitt, OSU, Mayo, Brown). A couple of them that are extremely low yield (GW, Drexel). And then you applied to the exact same list, so you were a reapplicant at these schools? Is there a specific reason for this? Are you geographically limited to where you can apply? Your application in itself looks fine

Reactions: 1 user