Reapplicant...25Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellothere808

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you're URM and/or go to a state that has schools with low MCAT averages (Mississippi, Louisiana, West Virginia, Puerto Rico, etc.) you have slim chance at an MD school.

Hey everyone,

I am reapplying to medical school...got one interview last year from my state school but didnt get it. My stats were:
Overall GPA 3.6
Science GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 8,8,8 24Q

I recently took the march MCAT and got a 25Q :( 10P 9B and a freaking 6V...my practice scores were 28-30 and I dont know what happened in verbal. I want to do primary care so I have no qualms with applying to DO schools. I am just wondering if I have any possible chance at an MD school? I have worked as a medical assistant for 3 years and gained a lot of clinical experience and shadowing that way (with both MD and DO physicians); did research with pending publication; lots of volunteering in coaching sports and working with terminally ill kids; and completed my university's Honors Program. I wasn't sure if that 6 automatically screens me out from all MD schools.

Anyone got into medical school with a 25 MCAT? :) I am hopefully but at the same time realistic. I know I should take it again and probably will next year. Should I apply early anyways this coming summer?

Thank you!

IMO, your GPA/MCAT combo don't make you competitive for MD schools. I'd say your cGPA is average/slightly less than average, but your sGPA is well below average. You need a solid MCAT score to beef up your application. A 25 won't cut it. I'd focus on improving your score and re-apply next year. How did you prepare for the MCAT both times?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical experience or volunteering doesn't matter, with a 25 mcat you're a liability. A surprising number of students flunk out of med school, repeat a year, "take a year off," etc. School's hate it. They take it really seriously. Likewise you should take the MCAT seriously. Set aside 3-4 months and really buckle down if you want to do this. If you can't ace the MCAT then you're doomed for Step 1, and probably the COMLX (?) thing too.

Your clinical experience or volunteering doesn't matter, with a 25 mcat you're a liability. A surprising number of students flunk out of med school, repeat a year, "take a year off," etc. School's hate it. They take it really seriously. Likewise you should take the MCAT seriously. Set aside 3-4 months and really buckle down if you want to do this. If you can't ace the MCAT then you're doomed for Step 1, and probably the COMLX (?) thing too.

:laugh:.....at least you didn't call it the COMPLEX. That gets under DO students' skins like calling the MCAT the MCAT's gets under premeds' skins.

FYI it's COMLEX

thank you everyone for your honesty. am i completely out for DO schools as well?

thank you everyone for your honesty. am i completely out for DO schools as well?

You should be good to go for DO because they aren't as big on stats (esp. MCAT) and value the "soft factors" (EC's, LOR's, PS, etc.) more than MD schools IMO.

a 3.6/25 is about average for DO ( 3.5/26.5), however that average is a bit misleading as it separates the DO schools into two ilks, the more established ones ( 3.6/28 average) and the newer ones. At the newer ones you should be ok.

i think i have stronger ECs...however, in terms of DO schools, i would like to go to Western. is a 25 mcat competitive for that school? Or should I post this in the DO thread? :)

Some schools will not look at Verbal at all (DO schools). I had similar stats and received an interview from Western, but was accepted to my first choice before the interview and did not go.

If you can somehow get to a 30 on the MCAT, then I think you have a good shot at MD schools. Hopefully you can keep studying and take the test in June or July; you might be able to build your score up there since you were scoring 28-30 on practices but you need a couple months more reps in terms of simply doing as many practice problems on ExamKrackers.That's what I did-- took the MCAT in July and scored in the mid 20s when I was working full time and after I had done about 4-5 months of studying but only did AAMC practice tests. But after the July MCAT, I did nothing but EK practice exams, retook the AAMC practice tests, and did 1001 questions from EK for 5 weeks and scored in the 30s on my second shot. Just getting reps in made a huge difference on my second test.