Reapplicant Advice -- 2 Gap years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixRising77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for advice to improve my application. Constructive criticism is highly appreciated and welcome.

I applied as a trad (no gap year) during the 2021-2022 cycle and got 1 WL with the following Stats/Activities:
  • 3.9x GPA/GPA and 512 128/128/128/128.
  • 120 hrs hospital volunteering)
  • no shadowing experience
  • volunteering with the underserved (125 hours and 125 projected at a community center connecting the community to resources).
  • 1500 research hrs with two college-level presentations, an REU, and a Goldwater nominee at my university
  • Besides typical college org leadership, I had a unique hobby as well.
New/Planned updates to my app:
  • I've done 50 hrs shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and am making an appointment with a PCP so I can ask if I can shadow them.
  • I presented at the national level, completed a senior thesis with high honors, and am listed as an author in my research mentor's pub that will be published in the winter
  • Since I'm ORM, I am studying for the MCAT and retaking in January/February 2023 (I scored at least 7-8 points lower than my FLs the first time)
  • I am going to be teaching lifestyle classes (cooking/money/etc) at a local community center as a volunteer and am organizing a food bank program to support my community.
  • I will be starting a full-time scribe position next week (I graduated recently)
My question is: is this enough? My plan is to apply for the 2023-2024 cycle, and I am hoping to target research-focused schools as I want to go into academic medicine. I really don't want to apply a 3rd time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another 100+hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact will help your chances. You should focus on receiving an acceptance at any medical school, not just research focused schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not applying DO instead of wasting another year?

Why not applying DO instead of wasting another year?
At this point, I really don't have the funds to reapply. I've also accepted that I'm going to be taking a gap year -- it gives me a chance to spend more time with my family too.

Another 100+hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact will help your chances. You should focus on receiving an acceptance at any medical school, not just research focused schools.
Thank you! I forgot to mention that I have another 100 hours of clinical volunteering from my senior year as well.