Reapplicant advice needed :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evlyann

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been out of the loop of SDN for a while, cuz I actually thought I was going to get in this year, but I guess not. Im on one waitlist and was rejected by all others. :( I am not discouraged, actually I am even more dedicated to getting into dental school because this is what I want to do with my life.

My stats:
AA19
TS20 (B20,C19, OC19)
PA19
RC22
QR16

GPA: 3.04
BCP:3.16
SC: 3.05

I know its my GPA that sucks. I am enrolled as a post bac student at my local university so that I can take upper division sciences in the fall. I am also planning on retaking the DAT late june. I am going to apply early this time (last time my app was complete in NOV due to my retaking the DAT b/c of a technical issue). I have plently of extra currics, and have been a dental assistant volunteer 2.5+yrs. Do I even have a chance this cycle if I reapply or am I wasting my $$? My concern is that schools wont have my grades until Dec. I am hoping to improve my DAT, but after reading about the horror stories about the test being harder and the no paper rule I am getting a little concerned. I truly value all SDN member's advice/info bc who better to ask than my peers? Any help/advice is much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

if you can apply early this cycle, then maybe you'll get accepted by your waitlist school with the same stats you supplied them last year.

but if you're planning to do grad work to bring your gpa up, wouldn't it be better to apply next year and have somthing more substantial to show to schools. you'd have an entire year's worth of new grades to put on your app.

if you apply this year though, you may be in the same position you were in with all other schools until late december. that's when aadsas allows you to update your grades. so if you apply this year, your application won't seem any different to schools until they review it again late december.

based on that it depends whether you decide it'd be worth it to you, moneywise, to submit this year. maybe you do have a good shot at your waitlist school this year.

good luck, my friend.

Your DAT scores are good, but your science GPA and BCP GPA are on the low side. It would be more impressive if you raise your science GPA and BCP.