Reapplicant Advice URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runmemydegree

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So, I am a URM (AA) woman reapplicant and I’m from Pennsylvania applying to DO and MD (hopefully)
MCAT scores are 495,494,497,499
GPA is 3.4 SGPA is 3.2
- Medicinal chemistry and neuroscience major, psychology minor
-Planning on apply this cycle 2022
-Worked as a medical scribe during peak times of COVID in NYC ~900 hours
-Doing media research now for a large women’s media company helping small women owned businesses
- 3000+ hours of research
- A lot of leadership positions
- Currently working as a TA now too ~50 hours
-McNair and LSAMP scholar
- 100+ hours of volunteer work (clinical + nonclinical)
I’m just wondering what my chances are as a reapplicant I really dont want to take the MCATs again but i dont know what else to do right now. Should I still try?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
4 MCAT scores sub-500 is lethal. If you can't bring that to at least around a 505, coupled with your GPA, your chances of a med school acceptance will be low. If you cannot get your MCAT score up, then I'd shoot for one of the new DO schools or "lower tiered" DO schools.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
you need to wait a year and smash the MCAT. you're unlikely to get in regardless of the rest with 5 MCATs and 4 of them sub-500. you should also consider a few science classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly think you have an okay shot at a couple of MD schools (meharry, howard) and a good amount of D.O. schools being an URM. I wouldn't retake the mcat cause you would need like a 510+ to offset 4 not-so-okay mcat scores. Just apply really broadly with a focus on D.O.

Reactions: 1 user