Reapplicant Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Northeastern87

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I am a reapplicant as I applied last year and did not even get an interview. I scored 27Q 10V 9P 8B on my first MCAT 5/09 (while I had mono) and somehow did worse on another one in the same summer while healthy (25O 9V 8P 8B. 8/31...big mistake).

I retook the MCAT this summer and improved to a 32R 9V 12P 11B. I feel as though my MCAT scores were the most glaring reason that I did not get an interview but was wondering about other ways to boost my application.

My personal statement was reviewed by many people and I am currently revamping it to include a paragraph describing what I will do during my gap year.

My undergrad gpa was
-Cumulative: 3.72
-Science: 3.85

One thing I am wondering about is how important research is. I have loads of community service and volunteer experiences and worked in a rehab hospital for six months last year. Yet I have no research experience and reading the MSAR it seems like most admitted applicants do. Should I wait another year and try to get some research experience? I am currently applying to research jobs in the Boston area, where I am from.

Any other ways to improve? Suggestions welcome and thank you in advance.
 
The thing about research is that u shouldn't do it if you are not interested. Find other ways to make yourself shine. If u do research just to get an acceptance, then chances are you will be asked about it during an interview and it may be obvious that you were not interested.

I didn't have research my 1st cycle. This summer I did research with my favorite teacher. And it turns out that I really like it (field plant stuff not test tube stuff).
Maybe you should get with ur local university and get with a teacher and see you like it, or get the research job to get money. Who knows, u just may like it.