Reapplicant after turning down acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tundra7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into an MD school off of the waitlist at the end of June last cycle. Unfortunately I was struggling with some personal health problems at the time, and I was not sure how long my condition was going to persist, so I declined my acceptance instead of deferring. I decided to go to grad school for an MPH program for the time being, but my health is now improving, and I am interested in reapplying to medical school. Will other schools be able to see that I was accepted to a school previously if I reapply next cycle? If so, would there be any way to explain my situation, or will that decision automatically blacklist me from other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted into an MD school off of the waitlist at the end of June last cycle. Unfortunately I was struggling with some personal health problems at the time, and I was not sure how long my condition was going to persist, so I declined my acceptance instead of deferring. I decided to go to grad school for an MPH program for the time being, but my health is now improving, and I am interested in reapplying to medical school. Will other schools be able to see that I was accepted to a school previously if I reapply next cycle? If so, would there be any way to explain my situation, or will that decision automatically blacklist me from other schools?

I think some or all secondaries ask about whether you were accepted to a school before

I think you did the right thing deferring due to personal health and be prepared to mention and explain your situation to schools next cycle!

Not asking for a deferral was a mistake. Even if you didn't know how long the health issue would be, you could always withdraw at that time. Unfortunately, this will make future acceptances harder to get.

Yes, they will ask about past acceptances and you will need to be honest. It will be a mark against you, for right or wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How much of a legit SAVAGE would OP have to be in order to not be dead on arrival at every MD school in the country?

You have a legitimate story to tell about why you turned the acceptance down. People have health problems, it's part of life, people in medicine understand that. I have several classmates who took 1 or 2 years off medical school for health reasons. They all just matched yesterday and are doing fine. You also did some good stuff in between.

Get other people's input too, but I think you should explain health issues in your application (there might be a place to explain time you took off after undergrad. Try to get Goro or LizzyM to weigh in here.

How much of a legit SAVAGE would OP have to be in order to not be dead on arrival at every MD school in the country?
pretty sure OP would just have to be a good candidate. has a very good reason to turn down an acceptance and overcame the health issues and is now in a better spot. would have been pretty rough to start med school with major health problems to deal with. go find some empathy.

Reactions: 1 user