reapplicant chances? (3.55sGPA/cGPA; 37MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keeplookingup12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i applied during the 07-08 cycle, my senior of college. interviewed at 2 places, waitlisted at one, and ultimately rejected from both (one was top 10, the other top 20). i decided to take two years off, and will be applying again this cycle.

my stats:
  • 3.55 sGPA and cGPA from top 5 university
  • 37 MCAT (12 V, 12 P, 13 BS, R)
  • typical ECs (shadowing, volunteering, a lot of research - wrote senior honors thesis and possible second author publications)

currently working at a lab in a med school in nyc as a lab tech, but relatively unique situation because it's a new start-up lab and i get a lot of diverse responsibilities. PI willing to write great rec.

planning on applying to:
  • Stanford
  • UCSF
  • George Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Emory
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Northwestern
  • U of Chicago (Pritzker)
  • Boston Univ
  • Harvard
  • Tufts
  • Saint Louis SOM
  • Dartmouth
  • Albert Einstein
  • Columbia
  • Mount Sinai
  • NYU
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Duke
  • Drexel
  • Jefferson
  • UPenn
  • Temple
  • Vanderbilt
  • Baylor
  • U of Wash
only problem is my MCAT score might not be eligible for UCSF and stanford since i took it April 2007. also, i'd like to stay in an urban area.

thoughts? any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you figure out why you couldn't get in in the first year? Your stats is awesome and it makes your story pretty scary.

Can you figure out why you couldn't get in in the first year? Your stats is awesome and it makes your story pretty scary.

i'm hoping it's because i applied as an international student the first time around. this time i should be a permanent resident, so :xf:

thanks for your quick reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I agree with the above...

It sounds atypical you did not get in anywhere. You said you only had two interviews, to 2 Top 20 schools...if top 20 schools were willing to interview you, I am surprised other schools weren't.

First time around, did you not apply broadly?

Yes, that would do it (being international)...I think you'll have much better luck now.

I think your list is fine. Your GPA maybe below avg for top schools, but everything else are awesome, so you still have a shot. And you have coupe "safe" schools, so I think you can get in somewhere this year. Good luck!

Did you have your green card? I wonder if you need a green card in order to declare NY residency.

good question. no idea what the answer is! i'll have to look that up. either way, i should have had the green card for about a year or so by the time i matriculate, so hopefully that'll help.

No you don't need a green card to declare residency in NY (non-citizen living here). I believe you need to be living in NY for about 6 months or a year..something like that, to declare residency. That's how I got instate tuition for college.

No you don't need a green card to declare residency in NY (non-citizen living here). I believe you need to be living in NY for about 6 months or a year..something like that, to declare residency. That's how I got instate tuition for college.

thanks for that very useful info! good to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm hoping it's because i applied as an international student the first time around. this time i should be a permanent resident, so :xf:

thanks for your quick reply!

That's most likely what screwed you. I didn't think being an international student would be a huge problem with a 3.98 and a 32Q, but it was. I applied to 28 schools, interviews at 3, ultimately accepted at all 3, but they weren't top school or anything. As a resident you will have MUCH more luck

Get your green card, some great LORs and I think you'll be in much better shape this time around if you apply wisely and broadly. You may have to eliminate schools though based on what MCAT scores they are going to accept (as you already indicated...but there may be more schools you'll have to cut)

if you dont have a green card, then this is a totally different issue, i think. you would still be considered an international... i think, not sure

if you dont have a green card, then this is a totally different issue, i think. you would still be considered an international... i think, not sure
But op have mentioned that by the time he apply he will get that, right?

If he establishes residency in NY though? I dunno. Maybe not since green card =/= citizenship. Yep, you're right. I'd think it would help though...

I think all of the people who post these stupid questions are extremely insecure. If you have a 33+ MCAT and 3.75 GPA... then you need to realize you're going to medical school. You don't need all of the people who live on these forums to buoy up your already inflated ego. Have some consideration for those of us who aren't as lucky as you.

God especially when you got a 37 MCAT.

I think all of the people who post these stupid questions are extremely insecure. If you have a 33+ MCAT and 3.75 GPA... then you need to realize you're going to medical school. You don't need all of the people who live on these forums to buoy up your already inflated ego. Have some consideration for those of us who aren't as lucky as you.

Well in this case the OP did not get in anywhere after applying so that insecurity is sort of justified. I do believe he/she will get in this cycle however.

OP was international the first time around. And what's with the bump?

that's obviously not true.

Another exception to this is if you're an refugee/asylee, u'll be treated as resident for admission purposes..