Reapplicant for the next cycle. Will I need more EC?

Julatteluver

Jun 21, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
    I applied last cycle (ORM 3.5 with upward trend, 510) and ended up with no As (received 3 MD IIs if that matters).
    From what I think, my weakness were my stat and late app (submitted in mid-late Sep). So I will be retaking my MCAT and applying ASAP once the app opens next year.

One thing that I'm not sure about is my ECs. I have approximately 1K volunteer hours (about half clinical and half non clinical) that all ended around 2019-2020 and ~3K research hours from the same lab. I have been continuing my research mainly due to I am responsible for my study that seems endless due to COVID, but I have not been able to volunteer because of work (not clinical) and family issues.

Will it be a problem if I do not have any clinical hours from my gap years? I am planning to take my MCAT in Jan and will have some time to do volunteer after, but I will have to sacrifice my working hours.

Thank you!

Edit: will be applying to DO schools next year!

Mre1123

2+ Year Member
    Sep 19, 2019
    1. Medical Student
      Biggest things that I can see is the late application. I think people underestimate how important it is to get the applications submitted within the first 1-2 weeks of the application cycle. Many (but not all) schools look at apps in the order they come in, and if you aren't submitted until mid September, it will take a while to get to you. IMO, if you get a 3-5 bump in the MCAT, apply early, and are able to explain what you have done in the past 1-2 years since your first application cycle, you will be fine. But priority is submitting on time. Also yes, apply to at least a handful of DO schools (that you would be happy to attend.)

chzsux

May 1, 2020
      1. Pre-Medical
        I applied last cycle (ORM 3.5 with upward trend, 510) and ended up with no As (received 3 MD IIs if that matters).
        From what I think, my weakness were my stat and late app (submitted in mid-late Sep). So I will be retaking my MCAT and applying ASAP once the app opens next year.

One thing that I'm not sure about is my ECs. I have approximately 1K volunteer hours (about half clinical and half non clinical) that all ended around 2019-2020 and ~3K research hours from the same lab. I have been continuing my research mainly due to I am responsible for my study that seems endless due to COVID, but I have not been able to volunteer because of work (not clinical) and family issues.

Will it be a problem if I do not have any clinical hours from my gap years? I am planning to take my MCAT in Jan and will have some time to do volunteer after, but I will have to sacrifice my working hours.

Thank you!

Edit: will be applying to DO schools next year!
        I think the hours that you have are fine as far as volunteering goes but I really think it would really look much better if you added a 2-3 hour/week clinical opportunity

About the Ads

Julatteluver

Jun 21, 2020
        1. Pre-Medical
          Biggest things that I can see is the late application. I think people underestimate how important it is to get the applications submitted within the first 1-2 weeks of the application cycle. Many (but not all) schools look at apps in the order they come in, and if you aren't submitted until mid September, it will take a while to get to you. IMO, if you get a 3-5 bump in the MCAT, apply early, and are able to explain what you have done in the past 1-2 years since your first application cycle, you will be fine. But priority is submitting on time. Also yes, apply to at least a handful of DO schools (that you would be happy to attend.)
          Thank you! Now i realize the importance of submitting extra early...ahaha

I think the hours that you have are fine as far as volunteering goes but I really think it would really look much better if you added a 2-3 hour/week clinical opportunity
          I am currently trying to get a volunteer position at a suicide prevention hotline center. I know it's not considered clinical, but I thought I would want to volunteer for somethign that I deeply care about. Plus getting clinical experience here (nyc) has been nothing but impossible due to covid. I will try to look for one though, thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
          About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.