Reapplicant for the next cycle. Will I need more EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Julatteluver

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last cycle (ORM 3.5 with upward trend, 510) and ended up with no As (received 3 MD IIs if that matters).
From what I think, my weakness were my stat and late app (submitted in mid-late Sep). So I will be retaking my MCAT and applying ASAP once the app opens next year.

One thing that I'm not sure about is my ECs. I have approximately 1K volunteer hours (about half clinical and half non clinical) that all ended around 2019-2020 and ~3K research hours from the same lab. I have been continuing my research mainly due to I am responsible for my study that seems endless due to COVID, but I have not been able to volunteer because of work (not clinical) and family issues.

Will it be a problem if I do not have any clinical hours from my gap years? I am planning to take my MCAT in Jan and will have some time to do volunteer after, but I will have to sacrifice my working hours.

Thank you!

Edit: will be applying to DO schools next year!

Members don't see this ad.

Biggest things that I can see is the late application. I think people underestimate how important it is to get the applications submitted within the first 1-2 weeks of the application cycle. Many (but not all) schools look at apps in the order they come in, and if you aren't submitted until mid September, it will take a while to get to you. IMO, if you get a 3-5 bump in the MCAT, apply early, and are able to explain what you have done in the past 1-2 years since your first application cycle, you will be fine. But priority is submitting on time. Also yes, apply to at least a handful of DO schools (that you would be happy to attend.)

I applied last cycle (ORM 3.5 with upward trend, 510) and ended up with no As (received 3 MD IIs if that matters).
From what I think, my weakness were my stat and late app (submitted in mid-late Sep). So I will be retaking my MCAT and applying ASAP once the app opens next year.

One thing that I'm not sure about is my ECs. I have approximately 1K volunteer hours (about half clinical and half non clinical) that all ended around 2019-2020 and ~3K research hours from the same lab. I have been continuing my research mainly due to I am responsible for my study that seems endless due to COVID, but I have not been able to volunteer because of work (not clinical) and family issues.

Will it be a problem if I do not have any clinical hours from my gap years? I am planning to take my MCAT in Jan and will have some time to do volunteer after, but I will have to sacrifice my working hours.

Thank you!

Edit: will be applying to DO schools next year!
I think the hours that you have are fine as far as volunteering goes but I really think it would really look much better if you added a 2-3 hour/week clinical opportunity

Members don't see this ad :)
Biggest things that I can see is the late application. I think people underestimate how important it is to get the applications submitted within the first 1-2 weeks of the application cycle. Many (but not all) schools look at apps in the order they come in, and if you aren't submitted until mid September, it will take a while to get to you. IMO, if you get a 3-5 bump in the MCAT, apply early, and are able to explain what you have done in the past 1-2 years since your first application cycle, you will be fine. But priority is submitting on time. Also yes, apply to at least a handful of DO schools (that you would be happy to attend.)
Thank you! Now i realize the importance of submitting extra early...ahaha

I think the hours that you have are fine as far as volunteering goes but I really think it would really look much better if you added a 2-3 hour/week clinical opportunity
I am currently trying to get a volunteer position at a suicide prevention hotline center. I know it's not considered clinical, but I thought I would want to volunteer for somethign that I deeply care about. Plus getting clinical experience here (nyc) has been nothing but impossible due to covid. I will try to look for one though, thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
I also encourage you to do something clinical and not rely on what you did in the past. The suicide prevention work may work, especially if you are considering psychiatry.

Reactions: 1 user
I also encourage you to do something clinical and not rely on what you did in the past. The suicide prevention work may work, especially if you are considering psychiatry.
I am interested in psych! But will also consider getting a clinical job or something after MCAT :)

Reactions: 1 user