Reapplicant looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biochem406

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So a backstory about myself. I graduated a state school in 4 years with a major in molecular biology and double major in Psychology. I had a rough freshman year with an F in an honors seminar and an overall 3.3 GPA. I buckled down and got close to 4.0s the remaining semesters and ended up with a 3.8 cumulative gpa 3.83 science GPA and a 518 on my MCATs. I applied this year and was met by a lack of fortune. I'm not sure if it had something to do with my personal statement and secondaries or activities. I've been on a volunteer trip for clinical hours, and also shadowed two separate surgeons for 100 hours each. I have around 1500 hours of research experience. I applied to mostly top 20 schools besides, Einstein, Dartmouth, UVA, Brown, and USC. I only received 2 interviews this cycle and one rejection and a wait list.

This year off, I've been working as an associate scientist for a next gen sequencing company and also shadowed as a medical assistant as well as tutoring. I'm not sure if I should seek medical application counseling for the following year and where I went wrong and what to change. Any help would be appreciated on what I should try to change or how I should approach reapplication. Also I'm not sure what a good amount of schools this time around, I applied to 25 last cycle, or what types of schools I should apply to. I thought I had pretty solid stats last time so I'm kind of lost on this approach. I am also asian, since I'm not convinced that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you're applying way too top heavy...

This is always possible.

I'm not sure if it had something to do with my personal statement

Overseas medical missions are treated as medical tourism. If have yet to set foot in a US clinic or hospital, this is why you got shot down
I've been on a volunteer trip for clinical hours,

Of course. Your app may have looked skewed toward research
I have around 1500 hours of research experience.

No service volunteering? If so, another lethal mistake.
I applied to mostly top 20 schools besides, Einstein, Dartmouth, UVA, Brown, and USC. I only received 2 interviews this cycle and one rejection and a wait list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. Although the non-top 20 you mentioned aren't top tier, they are extremely competitive. Not knowing your state of residence, you should have applied to these as well.

Is the Volunteer Trip you mentioned the extent of your volunteer experience? If so - amass more experience here. Service to the less fortunate in your community is an important factor in a successful application. Volunteer trips to other countries are seen by some as not holding much weight because they are seen as a backdoor to earning clinical experience at the expense of a country/area without much regulation. It has been dubbed "voluntourism" by some.

You might be missing some primary care shadowing as well as the clinical experience in the US and the service volunteering.

When you do apply, apply as early in the cycle as you can, as a late application also hurts.

Hi,

I did apply a little top heavy, but even the other schools I didn't receive an interview at. I have a lot of volunteer experience with the Ronald Mcdonald House, a nursing home, and a diversity parade which was a few 100 hours. I tutor for my school for underprivileged kids and also the MCATS through examkrackers. Most of my shadowing is however in the OR. I am starting to do some general physician shadowing next weekend and hopefully gain some more volunteer work as well. Is there anything else, I should do within these few months to make my application stronger. Also what schools are considered not top heavy, I am from New jersey, so definitely going to apply to all the in state schools. In describing extra-curcciulars and my "most important" activities does anyone know how to talk about that or be more genuine with it because I believe that may have been one of my problems.

Hi,

I did apply a little top heavy, but even the other schools I didn't receive an interview at. I have a lot of volunteer experience with the Ronald Mcdonald House, a nursing home, and a diversity parade which was a few 100 hours. I tutor for my school for underprivileged kids and also the MCATS through examkrackers. Most of my shadowing is however in the OR. I am starting to do some general physician shadowing next weekend and hopefully gain some more volunteer work as well. Is there anything else, I should do within these few months to make my application stronger. Also what schools are considered not top heavy, I am from New jersey, so definitely going to apply to all the in state schools. In describing extra-curcciulars and my "most important" activities does anyone know how to talk about that or be more genuine with it because I believe that may have been one of my problems.
To be honest, even with research, I'm not sure why you applied almost exclusively to top 20s. Having just stats isn't a guarantee to get into a top 20. While I think your ECs are decent, they're nothing outside of the cookie-cutter norm which is why I don't think you're getting too much love from the top 20s. Also, some of the other schools (Einstein, USC) you applied to get SO many applications every year that its really hard to stand out/get interviews.

Paging @libertyyne because he always has the best school lists- he's got a great spreedsheet from what I hear that helps him give such great recs. Maybe if you ask nicely he can help? LOL

ETA: even the "non-top 20s" you applied to are some really heavy hitting schools... Maybe you need to invest in MSAR and check out your stats against what's published? You can also see mission statements of other schools that are within striking distance which could help you see where your application would be a good "fit." Also, have other people read your essays and give you honest feedback.

Last edited:
I understand that a lot of the schools I applied to are very hard to get into however, a lot of people DO get in. I know it's harder with my ethnicity but clearly its been a factor. I looked at the sites for target schools and this is what they told me to apply to and I thought my state schools would be viable "safeties" but I guess I didn't give myself enough wiggle room. I thought applying to A LOT of school where their median stats were below mine at least one would take me if not at least interview me. Yes, I haven't done much to stand out but I've also had leadership roles, being hall president of 250 students freshman year and being fraternity vice president, running charity events, so I took the sum would add up to a solid application. I'm hoping not to make the same mistakes this cycle but mainly try to pinpoint where I went wrong.

NYU
Pritzker Chicago
Icahn
U of Michigan
Weill Cornell
Harvard
Emory
Mayo
Hopkins
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
Boston
University of Cincinnati
Einstein
Hofstra
U of Miami
U of Rochester
University of Iowa
St Louis
U of Virginia
Case Western
Duke
Thomas Jefferson
Floria Atlantic
Tufts
loyola
Dartmouth
George Town
Medical college Wisconsin
U of Vermont
Virginia Tech
Tulane
EVMS
Wake Forest
Temple University
Drexel
Albany
Penn State

Here is my list. You are almost competitive for any school in the country, I suspect you have something else that is going on , bad LOR,terrible PS, poor writing skills, and poor school selection. Your ECs do seem a little cookie cutter for top 20. You should also focus on your interview skills the rejection post interview is concerning. Focus on the service to others in the app if you can.

That seems like an extensive list, thanks a lot for the advice. However, for letters of recommendation my school filters through it to make sure they are not bad and for the most part they were very in depth. I do however need to focus on my interview skills but I was more concerned why I never got interviews at the other schools to begin with. Does anyone know people who can help with the extra curriculars portions, selecting the right ones and how to expand on them in the amcas section and even the personal statement. Would it be wise for me to get a consultant this time around?

What time were you complete at the schools? Secondary was sent and file complete for review?

The bulk of schools, complete were mid august. I'd say about 5-7 in September. And 3( Harvard, Upenn, UCLA) all in late September early October.

That seems like an extensive list, thanks a lot for the advice. However, for letters of recommendation my school filters through it to make sure they are not bad and for the most part they were very in depth. I do however need to focus on my interview skills but I was more concerned why I never got interviews at the other schools to begin with. Does anyone know people who can help with the extra curriculars portions, selecting the right ones and how to expand on them in the amcas section and even the personal statement. Would it be wise for me to get a consultant this time around?
Did you have other people read your personal statement and/or secondary essays? Do you think you had a clear theme for your application that tied together your ECs, PS and other essays? The first question should apply to admission anywhere. The second is largely a top 20 thing- to help you stand out/get attention enough for an interview.

Agree that the post-interview rejection is a bit concerning, but so is how late you were complete. GIven that you're set on a top school, you need to get that sucker in asap!!

I had a lot of people read my personal statement, including current doctors and family and friends. For the secondaries, i did take my time with some but honestly was more keen on getting them in since I was late. I think they were okay nothing really to stand out except a few schools were I think i did a phenomenal job. However, for the most part the were more in the realm of "cookie cutter" because the vague questions, I wasn't too sure on how to stand out other then mention some of my extracurricular activties which I already did mention in my primaries. I think a lot of the time for secondaries it may have seemed forced?