Reapplicant; Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDKR2814

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently in need of some advice. I applied Late Summer/ Early Fall of 2013 and didn't get in anywhere. I met with the Dean of Admissions for one of the schools I didn't get into and she recommended that I not reapply (summer 2014). I was told to take the year off to "reflect" on my new job as a medical technician at a private practice (started working beginning of April). In addition, I took some extra courses. I feel as though a lot of the schools might have the same sentiment but I do not wish to wait another year to apply because by then if I apply in 2015 I won't start until I'm 26 yrs. old (assuming I get in).

Another Concern was that I was told to try and take the MCAT again if I could but with that I am unsure as well.

My MCAT: 28
GPA: 3.56 (upward trend)
Undergrad: Biomedical Engineering , Dual Minors
EC: Full-time Employment at a Ophthalmology office, Volunteered at 2 hospitals, Shadowed 5 Doctors, Youth League Basketball Coach

I applied to about a dozen schools and only had one interview. One of the major problems was that I applied late and wasn't verified by AMCAS until September ( I took my MCATs in August 2013).

So I was wondering if I should apply again? And if I do, should I just avoid the schools I already applied to? Should I re take the MCAT?
How should I go about this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

So I was wondering if I should apply again?
Simple. If you want to be a doctor, then you need to reapply. If you don't want to be a doctor, then don't reapply. If you're willing to give up on medicine, then give up. If you're not willing to give up, then fight for it.
And if I do, should I just avoid the schools I already applied to?
That's getting ahead of yourself, but you'll be a reapplicant, and hitting some of the same schools again is expected. If you produce an improved application then you'll be taken seriously. You should by all means reapply to your home state public schools.
Should I re take the MCAT?
If you want to get into a US MD school then of course you should retake the MCAT. That's #1 on the list of things you need to do. The list:
1. Get at least average on the MCAT. You can see in the MSAR and in the AAMC data tables what the average MCAT is for your schools. Generally it's 31+ for US MD.
2. Don't screw around. Before you apply again, put together the best possible application you can. If you're missing app assets, then go get those assets. Be serious.
3. Apply early and broadly. Early means June 1. Broadly means 25+ schools.
How should I go about this situation?
If you want to be a doctor then get to work. Spend a ton of money/time/effort on a better MCAT score. Take some more classes and get A's. Broaden your clinical exposure. Read about the US healthcare and develop a mature perspective. Start making friends with DO, but understand that the DO path is not easier than MD.

Your description of the feedback you received indicates that maturity was a problem. If you're still relying on your parents for rent/car/etc then detach and start fully thinking and acting like a responsible adult, or that immaturity will show.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a way for you to get in touch with some other schools or is the consensus that you "reflect?" I like your EC's, and depending on your schools I would want to retake the MCAT just so you're more competitive and can be at the average for a greater number of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI Premeds put a lot of emphasis on showing an upward trend, but in reality you're applying for the same seat as someone who has a 3.7 GPA so your upward trend of a 3.4 isn't going to look better than a flat out 3.7.

Back to you: Apply DO and you'll get IIs - how you fair after that is on you.
Your stats are below average for US MD school. If you want US MD then take a year off, boost the MCAT, add some clinical ECs, and consider taking a few upper level science classes and get A's in them to show your ability (no need for a full post bacc IMO). If you want to go this year to an MD school, then apply to a carribean medical school.

As you can probably tell from my avatar, I was involved in ophthalmology (specifically an ophthalmic technician) prior to being admitted to medical school. What will your job entail?

On a side note, I am 32 and will be attending medical school this Fall. In the grand scheme of things, 26 is still very young...though I know how you feel because I used to be in your shoes. I "re-started" on the path to medical school at the age of 26. At every step it was like, "2 more years...another 2 more years....yet another 2 more years." I always felt behind, and angry and frustrated with myself for being in my late 20's yet still pursuing medical school.

Then I got over myself and moved on with accomplishing my dreams.

Simple. If you want to be a doctor, then you need to reapply. If you don't want to be a doctor, then don't reapply. If you're willing to give up on medicine, then give up. If you're not willing to give up, then fight for it.

That's getting ahead of yourself, but you'll be a reapplicant, and hitting some of the same schools again is expected. If you produce an improved application then you'll be taken seriously. You should by all means reapply to your home state public schools.

If you want to get into a US MD school then of course you should retake the MCAT. That's #1 on the list of things you need to do. The list:
1. Get at least average on the MCAT. You can see in the MSAR and in the AAMC data tables what the average MCAT is for your schools. Generally it's 31+ for US MD.
2. Don't screw around. Before you apply again, put together the best possible application you can. If you're missing app assets, then go get those assets. Be serious.
3. Apply early and broadly. Early means June 1. Broadly means 25+ schools.

If you want to be a doctor then get to work. Spend a ton of money/time/effort on a better MCAT score. Take some more classes and get A's. Broaden your clinical exposure. Read about the US healthcare and develop a mature perspective. Start making friends with DO, but understand that the DO path is not easier than MD.

Your description of the feedback you received indicates that maturity was a problem. If you're still relying on your parents for rent/car/etc then detach and start fully thinking and acting like a responsible adult, or that immaturity will show.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the advice. More specifically, should I reapply again THIS cycle coming up with the qualifications I have now or wait a year?

As you can probably tell from my avatar, I was involved in ophthalmology (specifically an ophthalmic technician) prior to being admitted to medical school. What will your job entail?

On a side note, I am 32 and will be attending medical school this Fall. In the grand scheme of things, 26 is still very young...though I know how you feel because I used to be in your shoes. I "re-started" on the path to medical school at the age of 26. At every step it was like, "2 more years...another 2 more years....yet another 2 more years." I always felt behind, and angry and frustrated with myself for being in my late 20's yet still pursuing medical school.

Then I got over myself and moved on with accomplishing my dreams.

Yes I am one as well. I record patient histories and c/o's before the doctor comes in to see them. I administer drops, test their vision as well as take various visual imaging tests. I also help with front desk duties

Thank you for the advice. More specifically, should I reapply again THIS cycle coming up with the qualifications I have now or wait a year?
"This" cycle opens in about 12 days, so you have exactly no time to change anything for this cycle. You could reasonably apply DO this year, but not MD.

Since it is an interest of mine, what type of ophthalmology practice are you in?

From my take on the Dean of Admissions comment, I do not think you adequately expressed "why medicine" either in your essays/PS or during the interview. I believe that your ophthalmic experience will be of great benefit to you. It is one of those rare non-nursing positions where you get quality patient interaction. Soak in that experience, and really reflect on those one-on-one experiences: Listen to the patient; Get to know the patient; Build relationships with them; Learn to communicate with them.

I'm not sure what you did as a hospital volunteer or when shadowing doctors, but what I do know is that most of those positions are rather passive. One of the benefit of being an ophthalmic technician is that you are an integral part of the ophthalmologists healthcare team. The ophthalmologist relies on your notes and procedural skills to guide them to the right diagnosis. You are active in learning how to write a medical note while you hone your history taking skills. If you can, bring up the idea of scribing with the ophthalmologist. Then you will see everything from start to finish.

tl;dr. Wait another year. Reflect on your new ophthalmology experience in an effort to deepen your knowledge of patient communication/interaction, and of the healthcare field. A solid experience in ophthalmology will make your application unique and give you great stories to discuss. Also, re-take the MCAT if you think you can do better.

If you have any ophthalmology or application questions, feel free to ask me. I was involved in ophthalmology for 5 years in retina, cornea, and comprehensive.

I think it will be worth applying again, but apply strategically.
Aim for the low, low tiers, all new MD schools (like Quinnipiac) and lots of DO schools.
For any schools you reapply to, you need to show how you've improved. If you don't mind, could you PM me as to which school you got the interview at?

Remember that this process is a marathon, not a sprint.

Do not re-take the MCAT unless you're scoring >30 on lots of practice tests.