reapplicant-should I rewrite personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc7448

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a reapplicant this cycle and I was wondering if it was necessary to completely rewrite my personal statement or if I could just edit parts. The reasons for me choosing dentistry and why I think it would be a good fit have not changed in the past year. I know people say that you should talk about how you’ve improved over the last year but aside from doing a little more volunteer work and raising my gpa/DAT scores not much has changed. Are there any other reapplicants out there who are struggling rewriting their personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same boat as you. The desire and motives for dentistry have stayed the same. So I did not rewrite my personal statement and can I just say it was sure nice to have saved last years app in pdf and just copy and past and not have to worry about editing all over again.

Rewrite from scratch without looking at your old personal statement at all. Your reasons may not have changed, but you may have changed. Why didn't you get accepted your first time around? Was it because you had a so-so personal statement? If you really think it was absolutely fantastic!!!! then don't change it, but even if I thought mine was FANTASTIC!!! I would rewrite it because maybe the adcoms didn't think it stood out enough to them. Maybe it's one reason why you didn't get accepted.

Try a new approach, brainstorm, rewrite it and have it edited over and over... Think of it this way: If you were in a maze and kept getting lost, would you keep going the same way to try and get out? of course not, you would try someting new hoping that you would find a way out. It's a new admissions cycle, you need NEW tools. Now go write!