Reapplicant - what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsdoc14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am thinking about reapplying this round and was just wanting to get some thoughts if you all thought it was a good idea or not. I applied last year basically on a whim due to a very poor MCAT score and thought I might as well try. I made the mistake of applying really late (almost to deadlines) and also only to MD schools. I knew it was a very big long shot, but I discussed it with a medical school professor and she told me "you never know if you don't try" and despite better judgement I applied. Successfully failing to be admitted or receive any II.

Currently,
cGPA - 3.54, sGPA - 3.35
MCAT - 492/508
Significant upward trend for both GPAs (bad first couple semesters 3.7 and above for the rest)

Volunteer
Non-clinical - 500+h, Clinical - ~200h

Shadowing
~200h (multiple different specialties including: family practice, peds, orthopedic, urology, OB/GYN, and otolaryngology)

Work
Currently a medical scribe, and recently promoted to chief scribe.
~5000 hours of non-medical paid work during undergrad and summers

I have 3 strong LoR (volunteer coordinator, science prof, and MD physician), and 2 not as strong (science prof, non-science prof)

Indiana resident and did undergrad in Arizona with a good amount of volunteering and shadowing in both IN and AZ.

I am really just looking for some advice on if I should try applying this round, and if so what MD/DO schools would fit me. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Is your 508 new for this cycle? If so, applying to a solid list of 12-13 DO's and you will have plenty of II. You could also try for your Indiana MD's.

Reactions: 1 user
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance of a MD school acceptance with your GPA and a MCAT of 508. So you will need to apply to DO schools also and you are competitive for any DO school.
For MD apply to Indiana (and the new state school proposed in Evansville if it opens for 2017 but unlikely at this time) and consider these schools:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Albany
New York Medical
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Roseman (new school for 2017)
Apply to at least 10 DO schools and you have MU-COM in Indiana.
It is important to apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha Awesome! Thanks for the insight. I had some of your suggested MD schools already on my list. Do you know how you go about applying for Roseman? I do not see it on the AAMC list on the application. And why did you have SLU and Jefferson on the list I thought that was a pretty difficult schools to get into?

@Faha Awesome! Thanks for the insight. I had some of your suggested MD schools already on my list. Do you know how you go about applying for Roseman? I do not see it on the AAMC list on the application. And why did you have SLU and Jefferson on the list I thought that was a pretty difficult schools to get into?
At some point during the application cycle Roseman should appear so keep checking every month. SLU and Jefferson are competitive but do accept a few applicants with your stats.