Quantcast

reapplicant, what would you recommend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lielike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
i applied to 14 schools last summer but was not given a single interview :(
I was expecting that result since my undergrad gpa is 3.07(AADSAS calculated). I took my DAT twice and second time I did 19/19/21 (Bio 17 and verbal 15 though).
I graduated in December with chemistry degree and only thing I have been doing since my graduation was studying for my third DAT which I originally planned on take end of April.
new application cycle will open soon and i'm getting really depressed and scared of reapplying to dschools and retaking the DAT.
Since I dont want any gap years I was planning on doing postbac or masters for a year but am afraid that my application for this cycle would be same as last year without my grades in graduate schools.
i was invited to SFSU postbac interview and Western masters program. how come there are no f-ing linkage programs for predental students?

so what should i do now? retake my 3rd DAT end of May?

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was expecting that result since my undergrad gpa is 3.07(AADSAS calculated). I took my DAT twice and second time I did 19/19/21 (Bio 17 and verbal 15 though).
I graduated in December with chemistry degree and only thing I have been doing since my graduation was studying for my third DAT which I originally planned on take end of April.
new application cycle will open soon and i'm getting really depressed and scared of reapplying to dschools and retaking the DAT.
Since I dont want any gap years I was planning on doing postbac or masters for a year but am afraid that my application for this cycle would be same as last year without my grades in graduate schools.
i was invited to SFSU postbac interview and Western masters program. how come there are no f-ing linkage programs for predental students?

1) Improve your GPA as much as you can
2) Re-take your DAT. Aim for 20+. RC is important, a 15 alone could have got you rejected from all 15 schools
3) No "official" linkage program because there are simply too many qualified applicants, too few spots

DrReese

Reaction score
You can still get into school with a low GPA IF there is an apparant rising trend in your grades. If the last two years of school you were making A's and B's (more As really) versus the first couple you were making Cs and Bs. This was the case with me. My AADSAS GPA was similar to yours since it was cumulative. Also, you definitely need to do better in the Reading Section of the DAT. I've heard schools look at this section to see how you can dissect complex material, definitely a skill you will need in school. I did well on this section. And still my DAT scores were not as high as yours, 17/17/17 (the organic got me cause I took the DAT before taking organic). The Kaplan blue book offered some strategies. I would try to get my hands on one if I were you. Also, If you applied to 14 school and got no interview I would definitely take a look at the essay you wrote (and/or the answers to the short questions). If you have a low GPA explain why...tell a story so the admissions people will empathize with you. My AADSAS GPA and DAT scores were low but I was able to explain WHY. I only applied to 3 schools and I got interviews at all 3. So, If I were you, I'd 1)find a way to do better on the Bio and reading sections of the DAT and 2) improve the answers to the questions and on the essay. The GPA is just what it is and will not change between this cycle and the next (unless you are taking summer classes and you wait till they post to submit your app).

Good luck!

rnbaxter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

What state are you from and what schools did you apply too?