chyuk84

10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I am trying to reapply to dental school for this cycle. I just had a meeting with one of staffs from the school which I had an interview. He advised me to look into Master program or medical preparation courses instead of working for another year. But isn't it too late to apply for master program in Fall semester, and most master program requires GRE scores. Are there are good programs where I could take upper graduate level courses without taking GRE scores or any schools with master program without submitting GRE scores in Virginia??
Thanks!

MiztiKatz

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I am trying to reapply to dental school for this cycle. I just had a meeting with one of staffs from the school which I had an interview. He advised me to look into Master program or medical preparation courses instead of working for another year. But isn't it too late to apply for master program in Fall semester, and most master program requires GRE scores. Are there are good programs where I could take upper graduate level courses without taking GRE scores or any schools with master program without submitting GRE scores in Virginia??
Thanks!
I don't know much about your background (gpa, dat) but I too had to improve my stats in order to be a competitive applicant. In my case I applied to post-bacc programs in my area (philadelphia) we had three, 2 (drexel and pcom offered masters after 2 years, and 1, University of Pennsylvania offered upper level courses in biology and chemistry. None of these programs required GREs but they did require your DAT or MCAT. I don't recall how early I applied to these programs, however with Penn, I do know some people who were not part of the program, but took courses because they are open to the college of general studies (adult program).

You might want to look into your state university, or a school near you and look for adult ed courses... you can take some upper level classes and hopefully bring up your GPA. For me, I worked, took 3 classes, and did a little shadowing here and there and it seemed to work for me.

I also know that some schools will waive tuition if you are working in thier labs, so if you want to keep working you could look into a position like this. It will get your some research experience and allow you to improve your gpa

dentistin2011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
Status
Pre-Dental
There are so many schools that require DAT score instead of GRE. You'd better check post-bacc forum.
Yes, most schools want you to study further rather than to do other things like working at the hospital, volunteering etc. I don't think you are that late to apply to post-bacc or master's program. You should be in a rush to research schools ASAP though.
I am going to MWU to study MA in biomedical science.
If you have any question, pm me.
I hope you find a good one soon.
Good luck.

Thanks!

MB111

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2008
predents.com
Status
Pre-Dental
im wondering if i'd need to do a masters with my stats too. i originally planned to apply this coming may

dsony2284

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
hey im also in a similar situation, i actually applied to a few masters programs in medical sciences in my area. Havent heard from any yet. If i get accepted to a masters, should i apply when the cycle opens for dental school simultaneous this May? I wont have any grades for my Masters till end of fall semester. I will however have 2 new grades for ungerdrad courses over the summer, histology and anatomy *total 8 credits.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
Thanks!
BU MA medical sciences will take DAT MCAT instead of GRE.