Reapplicants? (especially at SCCO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zarkle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had to reapply to a school? I got accepted to SCCO last year but I applied too late so the class was already full :( Now I have to reapply but I don't know what to put on the new essay question. It asks what you did to make yourself a better applicant this year but I haven't done anything related to optometry in the past year. I am so mad at myself for waiting so long to apply so I have to go through the application and interview process again. I was scared enough last year and now I have to do it again! ahhhhh!!!! Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on what would be good to put in this essay? or any other reapplicant tips?

Members don't see this ad.

zarkle said:
Has anyone had to reapply to a school? I got accepted to SCCO last year but I applied too late so the class was already full :( Now I have to reapply but I don't know what to put on the new essay question. It asks what you did to make yourself a better applicant this year but I haven't done anything related to optometry in the past year. I am so mad at myself for waiting so long to apply so I have to go through the application and interview process again. I was scared enough last year and now I have to do it again! ahhhhh!!!! Anyway, anyone have any suggestions on what would be good to put in this essay? or any other reapplicant tips?

I applied to OD school after 3 years of undergrad so my situation may be different. I didn't get in the first time secondary to a lack of observation time. The school (the only one I applied to) has a strict 40 hours of required observation. In my essay I simply said that over the previous year I finished my B.Sc. and had fun living life. I was prepared to enter the rigours of optometry school because I had another year of preparation, life experience. Of course your essay is your own but if you didn't do any optometry stuff you can just talk about the growth you've experienced in other areas of life. The real question is why didn't you learn to get your app in early last year?

zarkle said:
Has anyone had to reapply to a school? I got accepted to SCCO last year but I applied too late so the class was already full :( QUOTE]

How did you get accepted when you applied late? i'm confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
zarkle said:

Late meaning you missed the deadline? How were they able to accept you? I'm curious too.

I think what he meants is that they accepted him but he has to pay deposit by a certain time, but he forgot to or sumthing
Just my 2 cents! =)

Katalio

maybe zarkle got accepted on the wait list?

Hi zarkle:

If you are reapplying, I would recommend that you focus your essay more on what you did during your time off to make you a stronger applicant. I'm guessing that you were a strong applicant but just got unlucky with applying late, so you can also talk about what you did during the last year (school, work, etc.). I'm sure the academic committee would want to know if you were still interested in the program and you still did something optometry related (volunteering, shadowing, or working) during that time. Don't be scared - you went through the process already so just think that you actually have a step up from everyone else.

- Rosanna

Side note: A good friend of mine at SCCO told me that hardly anyone gets rejected outright from their school after the interview. At worst, they will put you on a waiting list. If no seats open, then unfortunately you did meet their standards but perhaps you applied too late or required documents for your acceptance were delayed that they cannot fit you in to the class. MORAL: Turn in your application EARLY - that means within the first day or week if possible. Don't worry if you don't have all your letters or OAT score - just turn in the application so the school can start a file for you.