Reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonylarkhi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....

I was wondering...if I am a repeat applicant to a particular dental school, does anyone know if they keep our application file from the previous year or do they chuck it in the trash and start new? Just wondering to get an idea of how much to change around my personal statement. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on which school.
UNC-keeps everything and will compare your file from last year to this year to see if you improve your application etc.
VCU-keeps your name and thats all, they know you apply before but does not keep your file.

hey guys can u tell me how long the PS has to be? & what is it on? y do u want to be a dentist? want to start working on my PS as soon as summer break starts.
thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember on the Penn supplemental app there is a question specifically for reapplicants and they want you to explain what you have done since the last time you applied and how you have made your application more competitive.

you probably would want to update your personal statement to include any additional dental experience or volunteer experience. you could also talk about how you improved your application from the first time you applied.

I understand that I have to update my personal statement, and that is my intention, but the real question is do they discard the applications completely once they've rejected you or do they keep it for the next cycle?

I called Case sometime last month regarding the same problem, they said they would keep your pervious record if you reapply the following year. But maybe that doesn't apply to all school, don't know.

Thanks for the info....
So I guess it's school specific.....anyone else know about individual schools and whether they discard a rejected application if the student is applying for the next cycle?

So Indiana discards it?
Thanks!!!

Indiana DOES keep your stuff, and they'll interview you based on that. So if your first application was crappy then be prepared to answer for it.