Reapplicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molar3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wont be getting in anywhere this year I'm pretty sure (like 99%, unless a miracle happens, which i doubt). I'm pretty discouraged because I wanted it so bad but realistically i guess my stats didn't match up. Now i'm going to have to take more classes, boost my gpa, maybe retake my DAT and do the whole process over again. I know this is what i need to do however my question is, To any reapplicants how do you not lose hope? Or how do you get over the feeling of rejection and charge forward and try again?
I know what i need to do but I'm in a rut of feeling sad when i see some of my friends already in dental school and what not, i cant help but feel really dissapointed in myself and super upset that i've disappointed my parents. i cant change whats happened obviously, so do you have any advice for keeping your head up, trying again and getting rid of the blues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

I felt the same way as you, and I'm sure plenty of other people do as well, but if you really want to pursue dentistry as a professional option for yourself, then you just have to keep motivated and set on your goal. It's not going to be easy, and will not just happen overnight, but for me doing well in a graduate program really raised my confidence and this cycle is not looking too bad. I also just stopped trying to compare myself to others, so just focus on yourself. What exactly are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

So I wont be getting in anywhere this year I'm pretty sure (like 99%, unless a miracle happens, which i doubt). I'm pretty discouraged because I wanted it so bad but realistically i guess my stats didn't match up. Now i'm going to have to take more classes, boost my gpa, maybe retake my DAT and do the whole process over again. I know this is what i need to do however my question is, To any reapplicants how do you not lose hope? Or how do you get over the feeling of rejection and charge forward and try again?
I know what i need to do but I'm in a rut of feeling sad when i see some of my friends already in dental school and what not, i cant help but feel really dissapointed in myself and super upset that i've disappointed my parents. i cant change whats happened obviously, so do you have any advice for keeping your head up, trying again and getting rid of the blues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Keep your head up! I have been in your shoes and know the exact feeling you are talking about. Everyone has a different path they must travel - the sooner you accept that, the better you will feel. You can't compare yourself to your friends or anyone for that matter. Everyone has different circumstances and life experiences. Accept your situation and keep in mind that you haven't failed until you actually give up. I've applied numerous times since I graduated as you can see in my predents profile. My recommendation to you is assess your application, determine your weak areas (ie. gpa, dat, whatever), and focus on working your tail off to prove that you too are capable of this career path. I guarantee you - if you remain patient and focused day in and day out... you will certainly attain your goal. So remember, do whatever it takes if this is truly what you want and do not let anyone bring you down... there is always a greater reason for everything which typically isn't realized until later. Your achievements in the end will have much greater meaning and you will appreciate it more considering the hard work you are about to put in.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i guess i need to not compare myself to other people, i need to really do this! and 4th Molar- what type of grad program did you do if you dont mind me asking?
My science gpa is a 2.7 and my cum is a 3.3 , 20AA/20TS/17PAT. I'm gonna need to do something about my gpa but i dont know exactly what yet....
thanks for the advice!

yea i guess i need to not compare myself to other people, i need to really do this! and 4th Molar- what type of grad program did you do if you dont mind me asking?
My science gpa is a 2.7 and my cum is a 3.3 , 20AA/20TS/17PAT. I'm gonna need to do something about my gpa but i dont know exactly what yet....
thanks for the advice!

I feel your pain. Our stats are fairly similar (3.2cGPA, 2.9sGPA, 19AA/19TS/21PAT) and I got 14 rejections/no interviews. I'm doing a 1-year course based master's to boost my sGPA. It's not looking good for me, because even with a 4.0 in my graduate program, I'll only go up to about a 3.24 sGPA.

The only reason I haven't given up hope is because I'm praying they'll look at things other than just GPA (although, I'm almost sure they won't). My dental experience (4000hrs), awards/accomplishments, extra-curriculars/volunteering, LORs are all strong (in my opinion); so, my hope is slowly dwindling, too.

I feel your pain. Our stats are fairly similar (3.2cGPA, 2.9sGPA, 19AA/19TS/21PAT) and I got 14 rejections/no interviews. I'm doing a 1-year course based master's to boost my sGPA. It's not looking good for me, because even with a 4.0 in my graduate program, I'll only go up to about a 3.24 sGPA.

The only reason I haven't given up hope is because I'm praying they'll look at things other than just GPA (although, I'm almost sure they won't). My dental experience (4000hrs), awards/accomplishments, extra-curriculars/volunteering, LORs are all strong (in my opinion); so, my hope is slowly dwindling, too.

I am sure you will have better chance once you complete your MSc and apply because at this point, they won't have your grades until you do academic update.
Are you doing this MSc in the states or in Canada, if you don't mind me asking.

I am sure you will have better chance once you complete your MSc and apply because at this point, they won't have your grades until you do academic update.
Are you doing this MSc in the states or in Canada, if you don't mind me asking.

I hope so. They will have my fall and spring grades (21 credit hours) by the time I apply in June. Is the academic update done in November? I don't remember..

I'm doing my MSc in the states. I couldn't find a 1-year course-based science Master's in Canada.

I hope so. They will have my fall and spring grades (21 credit hours) by the time I apply in June. Is the academic update done in November? I don't remember..

I'm doing my MSc in the states. I couldn't find a 1-year course-based science Master's in Canada.

Yes, I recall it was around mid november for the last cycle.

I don't tihnk there is a one year master in Canada, so I am doing a two year thesis based MSc in Canada. Even with 4.0/ 4.2 in my first year, it didn't have much impact on my overall gpa. Hopefully, schools will look at graduate GPA seperately.. if not, my last option is diong PhD lol. :scared:

Yes, I recall it was around mid november for the last cycle.

I don't tihnk there is a one year master in Canada, so I am doing a two year thesis based MSc in Canada. Even with 4.0/ 4.2 in my first year, it didn't have much impact on my overall gpa. Hopefully, schools will look at graduate GPA seperately.. if not, my last option is diong PhD lol. :scared:

There is a one year master's program in Canada which is at Queen's.

I'm sorry to hear that... so did you get the 14 rejections already?

I thought most of d-schools send out rejections after Dec.1 except for few schools like Case, Nova, UNLV and Penn...

I hope you hear some good news in the following week :thumbup:

I'm sorry to hear that... so did you get the 14 rejections already?

I thought most of d-schools send out rejections after Dec.1 except for few schools like Case, Nova, UNLV and Penn...

I hope you hear some good news in the following week :thumbup:

I got the rejection for last cycle. Really? Which program is it? Uoft and uwo have a 1 yr course based masters in environmental science stuff..didn't know queens had something. I would never go there anyway..I'd rather die.