Reapplication advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daydreamer2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Things are looking bleak for me this year, so I am preparing for reapplication. I have a 3.38 science and 3.39 cum and a 32 mcat (11v 11p 10b) and am trying to figure out how to improve my app. and i have an MPH (3.83 gpa which did not help my UG gpa at all). I only applied to 18 schools this cycle (5 of them added oct/nov, and 8 in CA) so I am planning on applying much wider next year to lower tiered schools.

I am tutoring for a MCAT company, starting to do a Care Extender program at a hospital, but I'm not sure if I should do post-bac program as well. I have been told that I should so I can show schools that I can handle a full science load and get good grades. What do you all think? I would rather spend time working and saving up for med school but I don't know if this is the right choice. What about Extensions programs where I can take a class here and there? Is that worth it?

Please let me know if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
Things are looking bleak for me this year, so I am preparing for reapplication. I have a 3.38 science and 3.39 cum and a 32 mcat (11v 11p 10b) and am trying to figure out how to improve my app. and i have an MPH (3.83 gpa which did not help my UG gpa at all). I only applied to 18 schools this cycle (5 of them added oct/nov, and 8 in CA) so I am planning on applying much wider next year to lower tiered schools.

I am tutoring for a MCAT company, starting to do a Care Extender program at a hospital, but I'm not sure if I should do post-bac program as well. I have been told that I should so I can show schools that I can handle a full science load and get good grades. What do you all think? I would rather spend time working and saving up for med school but I don't know if this is the right choice. What about Extensions programs where I can take a class here and there? Is that worth it?

Please let me know if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks!

i'm surprised noone responded to you yet! some thoughts:
-apply super early next yr, seems to help a lot
-talk to a premed advisor who can frankly assess your app
-contact med schools to find out what they think u can do to improve
-consider SMP programs instead of post bac. those involve med school courses which might be more convincing than more undergrad courses
-post bac might be ok though, i don't think ur science gpa is that bad
-any research experience? maybe some clinical research experience will help you get patient contact as well as some legit understanding of research. schools seem to care about that. you can get paid too, both full-time & part time positions usually available. at an smp program, i think they make clinical/research opp's a priority, but i would do more research on that.

i have zero experience reapplying, but this is what i have gathered from other posts. i do know about getting research jobs tho, pm me if u want more info

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats honestly don't look that bad -- I'm wondering if there's something else about your application, PS, EC's, LOR's or something else that is holding you back. I think the advice about contacting admissions offices at places that rejected you is excellent. Ask them for specific, constructive criticism & what you could do to be a more competitive candidate next year. Hang in there & don't give up!

yea everything about you looks really good. congrats on gettin the 3.83 in your MPH program. since it's a grad gpa and not an undergrad gpa, it doesn't help hide it but provided you have at least 35-40hrs in the MPH, many schools may put more emphasis on the grad gpa over the undergrad gpa.

i'd just apply early, make sure everything is in order and in tip-top shape, and i think you should have much better luck next year.