Reapplication personal statement advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I’m currently waitlisted at 5 schools, and though I’m still super hopeful, I’ve been working on preparing my application to reapply next cycle to make sure I have all of my bases covered. When it comes to writing a second personal statement, does anybody have any advice they could share? I was in love with my first one and it got me some love with interview season, but obviously I need to start fresh and update it with where I am today. Should I still communicate the same story with the past year added on and should I acknowledge the fact that I’m reapplying? This is super difficult for me, as I’m sure a lot of you guys understand, but I would love any advice anybody has to offer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I re-applied and approximately half of my PS was mostly the same (maybe worded a little different here and there). I added in my new experiences over the previous year and that was about it. My new experiences did make up some of my weaknesses from my previous app but I in no way mentioned reapplying. I simply weaves them into a why medicine narrative. It’s a very subjective thing. A top 20 school interviewer explicitly told me my PS was what likely landed me the interview while a state school dean told me my PS was average. I don’t think you can go wrong either way in terms of mentioning reapplying or not. If it’s not a significant item that helps you answer why medicine, leave it out. If it is, then put it in. At the end of the day, do what you feel is right and have other review it.