Reapplication timeline advice (3.82/507)

Started by slebiedz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

slebiedz

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I am currently a reapplicant for the 2026-2027 cycle. Last year I did not get a single interview, which I chalked up to my low MCAT score and late submission (like, embarrassingly late).

I have 2000+ clinical hours
2000+ research, 1 first author paper, 1 first author poster, and 2 middle author posters
150+ hours clinical volunteering
not really any meaningful non - clinical volunteering (working on it, won't have enough my amcas sub tho)
edit to add - does helping stock medications count as non-clinical? what about working with a doctor to research a treatment plan but not working with the patients at all?
50 hours shadowing

I am currently studying for an MCAT retake June 27th. I feel pretty confident, on an upward trend from 513 on Kaplan FLs (will start AAMC FL next month). I am planning on applying to one throw-away school with my current MCAT score so I get verified on time. I am planning to heavily prewrite and submit everything as soon as possible in early August.

My question is: should I add some more lower-tier schools with rolling admissions to my AMCAS? I don't want to end up in the same situation I did last year. Or, should I just hold out until I get my MCAT score and then rapid fire apply everywhere at once?

Thanks in advance!!!
 
Last edited:
You won't even get your results back until mid-late July, so it is not like submitting to "low tiers" early is going to change your odds.
For your non-clinical, neither of your additions will count towards that. One is too clinical adjacent and the other is research. I won't say you won't get in with no non-clinical experiences, but many adcoms I talked to chalked up my rejection as due to not having enough of it.
I would recommend taking an additional year so you can focus solely on your MCAT right now (and crush it!) while compiling the rest of your application and hours for the next cycle. Not saying you can't get in this cycle, but your odds will be better with a not rushed application.
 
The AAMC GPA and MCAT grid shows people in your stat pool have a 52.4% rate of admission, which is above the overall rate of 41.9%.

Late application certainly doesn't help.

But your lack of non-clinical volunteering will be by far your biggest issue if you decide to apply this cycle. It's extremely easy to screen out applicants with poor service profiles, which is what will happen to you if you decide to trudge ahead this cycle.