Reapplication with SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

motherjohnmisty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been out of school for a while now and I've applied to MD schools twice now with no luck (or ii). Which astutely makes me think theres definitely something wrong with me (my stats mostly). I did a SMP, but did poorly than my undergraduate GPA. Enough story telling, here are the numbers associated with years of hard work:
Undergrad:
cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 506, then 507 (defs retaking)
SMP: 3.18
2 years of basic science research post grad
working on clinical experience now

Questions: Will med school MD or DO ever be achievable? What else can I do to improve my chances?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

That 3.18 SMP is going to really hurt you...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have to say that MD is pretty out of grasp, especially with that SMP GPA and undergrad GPA. If you want to become a doc, then you'll have the best chance applying DO. Good luck!

Hello Everyone,

I've been out of school for a while now and I've applied to MD schools twice now with no luck (or ii). Which astutely makes me think theres definitely something wrong with me (my stats mostly). I did a SMP, but did poorly than my undergraduate GPA. Enough story telling, here are the numbers associated with years of hard work:
Undergrad:
cGPA: 3.38
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 506, then 507 (defs retaking)
SMP: 3.18
2 years of basic science research post grad
working on clinical experience now

Questions: Will med school MD or DO ever be achievable? What else can I do to improve my chances?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks for you help!
With such a weak performance in the SMP, your only chance is with a broad application to DO schools.

Sadly, I believe that you're DOA for MD schools

With such a weak performance in the SMP, your only chance is with a broad application to DO schools.

Sadly, I believe that you're DOA for MD schools

Is OP DOA at your school?

OP:
MD is likely out of the picture unless you go to another SMP, smash it, and get a 510+ MCAT score. So there is always a chance. DO is also unlikely, but still possible.

You're MCAT is the saving grace in this situation, and even that isnt very high. I think you maybe have a fighting chance at some very new DO schools, especially if you can bump up that MCAT score to a 510+

Im also hesitant about the MCAT retake. What if you get a lower score?

3.1 SMP is not good. Kiss of death would have been below a 3.0, and you are close. Medical school is about 3X as challenging as a SMP. Most people who successful reinvent themselves have 3.7+ in the SMPs. Depending on the GPA breakdown, you may still have a chance. Was it mostly all Bs, or was there lopsided Cs in tough classes and easy As mixed in with Bs?

I would look into other healthcare careers in case you dont get in; Podiatry, Optometry, or Physical Therapy. PA might even be out of the question at this point.

Is OP DOA at your school?

OP:
MD is likely out of the picture unless you go to another SMP, smash it, and get a 510+ MCAT score. So there is always a chance. DO is also unlikely, but still possible.

You're MCAT is the saving grace in this situation, and even that isnt very high. I think you maybe have a fighting chance at some very new DO schools, especially if you can bump up that MCAT score to a 510+

Im also hesitant about the MCAT retake. What if you get a lower score?

3.1 SMP is not good. Kiss of death would have been below a 3.0, and you are close. Medical school is about 3X as challenging as a SMP. Most people who successful reinvent themselves have 3.7+ in the SMPs. Depending on the GPA breakdown, you may still have a chance. Was it mostly all Bs, or was there lopsided Cs in tough classes and easy As mixed in with Bs?

I would look into other healthcare careers in case you dont get in; Podiatry, Optometry, or Physical Therapy. PA might even be out of the question at this point.
Yes, OP would be DOA at my school. We've learned the hard way that people who have an SMP of ~3.0, or definitely one less than 3.4/3.5 will struggle in our curriculum. The Op's MCAT score also doesn't align with reinventors who have gotten into MD schools.

OP, you have no business applying to MD schools. Throw a broad application to DO.

I question your decision making. Why did you apply to medical schools twice with that low of a GPA and a sub average MCAT? Retaking your MCAT and then scoring 1 point higher is also a red flag. Even for bottom tier MD schools your base stats are very low, I’m not sure what your ECs are. Additionally, you know you have to ace your SMP or at MINIMUM do better than your uGPA and you failed to do that. You’re in a pretty tough situation and it may be wise to reconsider if you would succeed in medical school (MD or DO). Not trying to be rude but there seem to be numerous mistakes in your applicant profile that could have easily been fixed by reaching out earlier or seeking proper advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users