Reapply before or after SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TealC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have applied to a SMP with an August deadline and haven't heard anything back yet. Would it make more sense to try to apply now with the hopes of the masters program or just wait until next year? Also, I'm planning on retaking the MCAT which would make the app late in the cycle...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait to apply after you take your MCAT and are admitted to your program. This way you not only can get a head start on the application process next year, but also you will improve your resume. Not to mention the medical school will be curious to see how you do in your SMP program, which may be beneficial to you getting in.

So I have applied to a SMP with an August deadline and haven't heard anything back yet. Would it make more sense to try to apply now with the hopes of the masters program or just wait until next year? Also, I'm planning on retaking the MCAT which would make the app late in the cycle...

Send in your AMCAS ASAP. Mention in your AMCAS that you will be taking the MCAT in the future. They will re-review your file when the score comes in.

Mention the SMP in your secondaries. Almost all schools ask what you are doing during the application year.

You cannot underestimate the advantage of having your AMCAS looked at as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

if you are doing the smp to improve your credentials then do not apply while you are in it as most schools will not look at your application until your first quarter/semester grades are out. take a year, solidify your credentials then reapply.

Thanks guys,

i definitely don't want to rush into another app cycle so I did decide to just wait.