Dec 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi All! I know there is still time in this application cycle but I wanted to get advice on what to do in case I need to reapply. Ideally I would like to reapply this coming cycle so that I am not taking 2 gap years, however I also do not want to rush into applying again if there are large gaps in my application. I am an ORM, my state school is Utah and my stats are:

MCAT: 507 (125/126/125/130) (planning on retaking in April).
GPA: 3.9 undergrade GPA
Clinical Experience: 1000+ hours
Clinical Volunteering 150+ hours
Nonclinical Volunteering 60 + hours
Research: 500+ hours at multiple different sites
Shadowing: around 70 hours

The schools I applied to were:
Geisinger
Utah
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Temple
Loyola
MCW
NYMC
Penn State
Uconn
UVM
Rush
Saint Louis
Sydney Kimmel
Brown
Tufts
Tulane
U of A (both)
U of Colorado
U of Wisconsin
Albany
Albert Enstine
Rosland Franklin
Rowan
Drexel
Emory
Quinnipiac

I plan on working as a PCT (what I work as now part time) during my gap year, as well as adding on nonclinical volunteering. I did not apply to any DO schools this round but thinking about adding on some schools for the next application cycle. However I do not have a letter from a DO and do not really know how I would be able to get one/shadowing time with a DO during COVID. I felt like my secondary application and personal statement was written well (had multiple people, including my advisor look over it) so I do not think that this was an issue. I would love anyones advice/input!

Aug 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Not an expert and may be in similar situation as you with having to reapply but...

It looks like a lot of the places you applied are 'low yield' ( drexel/tulane/etc with hella applicants), heavily oriented on service/mission (rush/loyola/georgetown etc.), or not OOS friendly (colorado, uconn...). In other words, that list of around 30 schools was probably just an expensive list of around 10. Can't say that I didn't make this mistake myself lmao.

I'd retake the MCAT if MD is your goal. DO I bet you're competitive as is. Just my 0.02

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.