Reapply this cycle or wait a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SloboCCCC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first application was submitted last summer, I was completing secondaries while finishing senior year at college. I graduated this past April. 3.75 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 515 MCAT, 2 years in a research lab, 50 hrs clincal volunteering, 8 hrs shadowing.

Obviously a gap year is in order. I am in the process of becoming a medical scribe, furthermore I am setting up multiple shadowing opportunities, multiple clinical opportunities, and non-clinical volunteering. My main question is whether to apply now or wait a year. I would prefer to wait a year because I have not started any of these new activities. My application would list them but with no hours, due to no forecasting hours. My application would be a carbon copy of of the application that did not get accepted. Naturally I could update them throughout the year, however I do not believe that is as effective as starting out with a strong application. Finally, I believe my personal statement would suffer. None of these activities have impacted me and my vision of what it means to be a physician, therefore my personal statement would more or less be a lot of "what if's" and no change that much.

I believe waiting until next summer would provide me with a much stronger application due to a year of volunteering, scribing, and working unique clinical opportunities. What do you guys think? Thank you very much for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

My first application was submitted last summer, I was completing secondaries while finishing senior year at college. I graduated this past April. 3.75 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 515 MCAT, 2 years in a research lab, 50 hrs clincal volunteering, 8 hrs shadowing.

Obviously a gap year is in order. I am in the process of becoming a medical scribe, furthermore I am setting up multiple shadowing opportunities, multiple clinical opportunities, and non-clinical volunteering. My main question is whether to apply now or wait a year. I would prefer to wait a year because I have not started any of these new activities. My application would list them but with no hours, due to no forecasting hours. My application would be a carbon copy of of the application that did not get accepted. Naturally I could update them throughout the year, however I do not believe that is as effective as starting out with a strong application. Finally, I believe my personal statement would suffer. None of these activities have impacted me and my vision of what it means to be a physician, therefore my personal statement would more or less be a lot of "what if's" and no change that much.

I believe waiting until next summer would provide me with a much stronger application due to a year of volunteering, scribing, and working unique clinical opportunities. What do you guys think? Thank you very much for your feedback.
You're good to go. Go ahead and apply mate

How do you suggest I alter my personal statement if I haven't gone through any of these new experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you suggest I alter my personal statement if I haven't gone through any of these new experiences?
Personal statement answers "why medicine" and "why you" so if you've intended on being a doctor, these future activities should not really answer these question but rather help you buttress and solidify you want to be a doctor. Have you had any shadowing, ECs, experiences et al before all these future activities?

Yes I have, however I'm not sure how it would look for admissions committees if I mention the same activities from my previous statement and simply write about them differently. I will begin writing a second personal statement and see where it gets me.

Yes I have, however I'm not sure how it would look for admissions committees if I mention the same activities from my previous statement and simply write about them differently. I will begin writing a second personal statement and see where it gets me.
Ok, work on it and essentially it's up to you. If you've something you can apply with, go ahead, if not, take your time. Many of us don't make it the first time.

Your stats are too good to risk becoming a 3rd-time reapplicant unnecessarily (esp. since some schools have a cut off after the 2nd try). You are right that it's better to apply next summer with a strong app of new experiences (particularly clinical and volunteering) you have actually done and not just what you plan to do. It would appear to adcoms that you are reapplying too early, especially when you have no new substantial activities. They would probably wonder why you aren't using this cycle to do what you plan to do on this app. And the new experiences you gain will likely give you inspiration for a new and strong PS.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no point in rushing this process. Wait until next cycle to apply, and get it done right

Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like a plan. Wish you all the best.