Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.

Reapply this cycle or wait two years?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by clairevoyantz, May 6, 2012.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. clairevoyantz


    May 6, 2012
    I applied to ~30 schools at the beginning of last September and have been rejected by pretty much all of them. I've been waitlisted at one and two have me "on-hold for re-review" (which I doubt means anything since interview season ended a month ago).

    I feel that my application was hurt in large part by the fact that I applied so late. Considering this, would it make sense to go ahead and apply again ASAP for this year's cycle?

    Since applying, I've done more shadowing, started volunteering at a hospice, finished an honors thesis that has been successfully defended and presented at a research conference, and am currently doing a community service internship involving local impoverished Latino communities. Would these all count sufficiently as ways I've "improved" my application?

    I would consider taking the MCAT again, but I'm fairly certain that if I did retake it, I'd have to take a prep course (I've learned the hard way that I'm not the best test-taker or self-studier), which might pose some financial issues... I'm also afraid that I'll do worse the second time around...

    What should I do??

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    Overall GPA: 3.96
    Science GPA: 3.84
    MCAT: 10 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MedPR

    MedPR Banned

    Dec 1, 2011
    If you're applying DO you should apply again this cycle. If you're applying MD you should retake your MCAT.
  4. RedSox10

    RedSox10 5+ Year Member

    Mar 9, 2010
    Agreed. A 28 is very low, especially since it sounds like you are still in undergrad (a 28 could possibly be overcome by the "unique" experiences of a non-trad, but much harder to do so with an inexperienced undergrad). Either take 2 years, take a course, re-take and get 30+, or apply DO immediately and you'll probably get in.
  5. Spurg

    Spurg American Jedi 2+ Year Member

    Apr 27, 2011
    Valley of the Sun

    Those are some decent stats. What do you think went wrong? PS? Interview? EC's? etc

    Have you spoke to any of the schools on how to improve?
  6. Buzz Me

    Buzz Me Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor 10+ Year Member

    Nov 17, 2004
    Hard to claim that since you have an extremely high GPA.

    Some adcoms worry about the "high GPA, low MCAT" combo (fear of grade inflation, for example).

    Would change your study strategy, study hard and retake the MCAT.
  7. dancerdoc89

    dancerdoc89 Knowledge is Power

    Jun 22, 2011
    I'm in a very similar boat. As someone mentioned, I would call up every single school and just simply ask if you can get any feedback on your application package because you want to learn where you're lacking, what needs improvement, or simply what's missing.

    I think you're MCAT is ok. Because my case is so similar to yours, I'm planning on taking 2 years to pursue a masters, but applying to med school 1 year into the program. However, your GPAs are great, and I'm not sure if more schooling is for you, but if it might be what you want, go for it.
  8. clairevoyantz


    May 6, 2012
    Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all of your feedback and sorry for the wait...

    I was in the process of following your advice to call up the schools when I found out that I'd been accepted off the waitlist at the one school that didn't reject me pre-interview! (they were all MD, by the way)

    Although I'm overjoyed at not having to take the MCAT again, I'm somewhat uncertain about going to this school. It is among the lower-tiered, so I'm a bit worried about how that might factor into what residency I can get into. What are your opinions?

    Also, to those already in med school and beyond-- do you think deferring for a year would be wise? A part of me was somewhat glad that I was going to take time off from school (and it seems like life outside of medicine doesn't really exist after starting med school...)
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  9. MedBound1

    MedBound1 2+ Year Member

    Jun 13, 2011
    Based one everything you said in your first post, you should definitely take the acceptance and go... there is no guarantee that you will get in in the future (in fact, there's a pretty decent chance you wouldn't get in the next time unless your MCAT improved). You call it a 'lower-tier' school, but with a 28 MCAT your only chance for MD is at lower-tier schools. All US allopathic programs are solid, if you greatly excel in lower-tier programs you can still get the residency you want.

    As far as deferment, I seriously doubt the school will let you defer unless you have a ridiculously good reason for doing so and it sounds like you are thinking about it just to have a gap year.. I don't think they will allow this. I think the best thing to do is just make the most out of your summer, relax and get away from school and start med school in the fall.
  10. Prncssbuttercup

    Prncssbuttercup Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident 5+ Year Member

    Take the acceptance and run with it... your residency is based on you not your school!!
  11. CydneyFoote

    CydneyFoote 2+ Year Member

    May 24, 2012
    First off, congratulations on getting in! Take the acceptance, then do everything within your power to perform as well as you can in everything - not just in courses and rotations but also leadership activities. Doctors from low-tiered med schools get into great residencies all the time - they just have to show that they're exceptional.

Share This Page