Quantcast

Reapply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrapesofRath

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
May 5, 2015
Messages
5,266
Reaction score
3,918
Work on your weaknesses. Even in CA, a 510 combined with a 3.9 is not a weakness. 3.9/84th percentile MCAT is fine for many schools. Get more clinical experience, reapply when you have addressed your weaknesses to the best of your abilities. Retaking has real and relevant consequences if you dont show significant improvement on the retake which most who retake a 510 dont historically.
 

Faha

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2012
Messages
15,442
Reaction score
7,273
A MCAT of 510 is a good MCAT and you have an excellent GPA. If you could add to your clinical volunteering hours and start shadowing then your application would be stronger. It would help to apply more broadly and I suggest schools such as:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Tulane
UA (Phoenix and Tuscon)
Roseman (new schools accepting applications sometime this year).
Of course reapply to SLU and SUNY Downstate.
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 80% chance of a MD acceptance. The 20% who are not accepted are usually those with red flags, late applicants, applicants who apply to too few schools or too many reach schools, or have weak clinical volunteering or shadowing.
 

Prilozack

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2016
Messages
355
Reaction score
147
Work on your weaknesses. Even in CA, a 510 combined with a 3.9 is not a weakness. 3.9/84th percentile MCAT is fine for many schools. Get more clinical experience, reapply when you have addressed your weaknesses to the best of your abilities. Retaking has real and relevant consequences if you dont show significant improvement on the retake which most who retake a 510 dont historically.
Well, ideally you would want a 4.0/528, so anything less of that is imperfection.
 
Top