Reapply???Withdraw???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanabeHealthnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm currently in the application process (for the first time). I've had 3 interviews of in which I got put on hold at one school, on a "high-priority" waitlist at another and I just interviewd 2 wks ago at the last one. Now, after interviewing at the last school. I realized that I don't want to go there. Now, unfortunately, my dad has a few connections at this last school. Despite my objections, he's decided to "make a few phone calls" on my behalf. So I have a strong feeling I'll get it. Now not only do I not particularly like this school (especially after my interview) I don't want to go to a school I got into b/c of my dad. I've worked hard and would like to make it on my own. So, basically I don't want go to school next year unless i get into the school i'm on hold/waitlisted at. Now i've heard it looks really bad to reapply if I've rejected a school previously. So, I'm wondering would it look bad if I withdraw my application from this school I don't want to go to and then reapply to other schools?
Also is it too soon to reapply ? I've heard you should wait atleast 2yrs. I mean my application has changed A LOT ... I went to a medical camp, am doing a health literacy internship, working as a PT aide, and teaching for Kaplan, and i'm giong to go volunteer at a med. center in ecuador over the summer and hopefully starting my ms. in nutrition at columbia soon ... I got a 31 on my mcat and had 3.6 undergrad. (I think one of the big reasons I'm having a hard time this time around is b/c i made a few mistakes in the app. process i.e: applying to only 9 schools and applying really late in the cycle) Ok sorry for the huge mass of information I'm just a little lost at the moment. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You probably wouldn't have any trouble getting in to some schools next application cycle, but take it from someone who didn't even get interviewed this year...if you get in somewhere, go. Don't wait.

Alex1803 said:
You probably wouldn't have any trouble getting in to some schools next application cycle, but take it from someone who didn't even get interviewed this year...if you get in somewhere, go. Don't wait.

Thanks for the advice, i plan on going if I get in too one of the schools i'm on hold/waitlisted. Now I just want to know about the other school will it look bad if I withdraw? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
if you withdraw before you are accepted, it shouldn't be a problem. but if you are accepted and withdraw, schools seem to look down on that fact.

WanabeHealthnut said:
Ok, so I'm currently in the application process (for the first time). I've had 3 interviews of in which I got put on hold at one school, on a "high-priority" waitlist at another and I just interviewd 2 wks ago at the last one. Now, after interviewing at the last school. I realized that I don't want to go there. Now, unfortunately, my dad has a few connections at this last school. Despite my objections, he's decided to "make a few phone calls" on my behalf. So I have a strong feeling I'll get it. Now not only do I not particularly like this school (especially after my interview) I don't want to go to a school I got into b/c of my dad. I've worked hard and would like to make it on my own. So, basically I don't want go to school next year unless i get into the school i'm on hold/waitlisted at. Now i've heard it looks really bad to reapply if I've rejected a school previously. So, I'm wondering would it look bad if I withdraw my application from this school I don't want to go to and then reapply to other schools?
Also is it too soon to reapply ? I've heard you should wait atleast 2yrs. I mean my application has changed A LOT ... I went to a medical camp, am doing a health literacy internship, working as a PT aide, and teaching for Kaplan, and i'm giong to go volunteer at a med. center in ecuador over the summer and hopefully starting my ms. in nutrition at columbia soon ... I got a 31 on my mcat and had 3.6 undergrad. (I think one of the big reasons I'm having a hard time this time around is b/c i made a few mistakes in the app. process i.e: applying to only 9 schools and applying really late in the cycle) Ok sorry for the huge mass of information I'm just a little lost at the moment. :confused:

GO TO ANY SCHOOL YOU GET INTO!!!!!!!!!!!!

USArmyDoc said:
GO TO ANY SCHOOL YOU GET INTO!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's these kind of threads that make me bang my head against the wall.

OP i know what you mean. I'm going to be the only one who says this but go with your heart and what you know will make you happy.

el1984 said:
if you withdraw before you are accepted, it shouldn't be a problem. but if you are accepted and withdraw, schools seem to look down on that fact.
Thanks, that's basically what I was wondering about. :)

vkhalsa said:
OP i know what you mean. I'm going to be the only one who says this but go with your heart and what you know will make you happy.
Thanks, I think you're right. :thumbup:

WanabeHealthnut said:

There is no reason to wait to reapply, given your stats and the fact that you have more to add to your application. Even if you didn't change anything, I would reapply immediately if you don't get into one of your choices. With that being said, I agree with other posts that say that if you DO NOT withdraw your application from the school you do not wish to attend, and then you get in and decline acceptance, that would not look good. And I can tell you that if you get in, it will not be becuase of your dad. You are either someone they want or you are not. Your dad cannot change that. If there are two similar candidates to choose from, and the admissions office has more information about you due to contacts, that could give you the edge. Big deal. All that means is that they have some additional information that is helpful to them. But it will not give you the edge over a better candidate. So think about that if you don't withdraw and you don't get in anywhere else.

I'm curious to know as to why you disliked this school so badly that you are willing to go through this dreadful crapshoot again. I have mentioned on other threads similar to this one that you really should take whatever MD acceptance in hand unless you have a score of >34 and close to 4.0 GPA + excellent EC's. There are many people with your stats that are currently on waitinglists and no acceptance realistically in sight, which is pretty sad since they are very respectable stats. Otherwise I think you are taking an unneccesary chance. I would suggest thinking it over again carefully. Perhaps the school is not as bad as it seems.....it is very hard to judge a school from visiting one day during interviews. Perhaps you should visit the campus again on your own and sit down with some of ther students, speak to some non-adcom professors and see what you think then. You may be pleasantly surprised. Whatever you do think very carefully before withdrawing...you may regret this for years to come.

WanabeHealthnut said:

why do u think that you will not be happy at the school? if you come up with mature reasons then i think you should withdraw because you dont want to be miserable for four years. revisit it, talk to the students. if you reapply make sure you only pick schools where you'd go. i applied where i thought i had a chance to get in and now in a similr situration as u r. i know its a tough decision, u got much better stats though