Reapplying 2 years later: Better chance with school list?

MsLlamaCake

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Applied for 2019 cycle to 12 schools. I have since gotten a published paper, graduated with even higher cGPA and sGPA, clinical medical lab assistant job (see below), and rewriting essays. Will have all materials submitted early/on-time as opposed to later like last cycle….due to lack of knowledge on my end on process timeline

Year in school: Graduated with BS Biology in 2019 from State School
Country/state of residence: Wisconsin
Demographics: White female

Cumulative GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.87

MCAT Scores:511 (127/127/128/129)

Research: Published paper in student science journal with small group of undergrad students, semester in cancer research lab for class credit

Physician shadowing: 50 hours family practice, hospitalist, & surg onc.

Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours in Emergency Department, promoted to volunteer trainer for department
Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hours playing music for chapel, various hours at food banks, shelters with premed org.

Extracurricular activities: 4-year member of undergraduate pre-med student org with multiple volunteer opportunities and mentorship program, recreational volleyball teams twice a week year round

Employment history: Office job part-time all 4 years of college (2500 hours). I’m currently a full time medical lab assistant (2000 hours by time of application) with tons of clinical experience (phlebotomy, assisting pathology procedures, strong interaction with hospitalists/surgeons/pathologists, and patient interaction across all age groups and areas like ED, nursing home, hospital, surgery, outpatient, etc.

School List: 20 total, 10 public (1 in state), 10 private (1 in state)
- University of Wisconsin (reapp, had II)
- Medical College of Wisconsin (reapp)
- Saint Louis University (reapp)
- Loyola Stritch (reapp)
- Rosalind Franklin (reapp)
- University of Iowa Carver (reapp)
- Creighton
- Oakland William Beaumont (reapp)
- Emory (reapp)
- University of Minnesota (reapp)
- University of Colorado
- Central Michigan (reapp)
- Pennsylvania State
- Virginia Tech Carilion
- Wake Forest
- Ohio State
- Wayne State
- Michigan State
- Geisinger
- University of Toledo

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
It's a good school list and I think you should have a good shot. However, I'd honestly consider adding even more (maybe like 10). Since you're a reapplicant, you should prepare for the worst. It might suck applying to more schools (and be pricey) but if it's the difference between having to reapply, then I think that's worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
Aug 7, 2019
Status
  1. Medical Student
Maybe consider applying to some DO schools for live interview practice and insurance? Having a couple practice runs really helped with the nerves to the point I didn’t really practice at all for my md interviews + acceptances. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
  1. Attending Physician
You have several reaches on your list as well as state public schools that accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Wisconsin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 2 users

MsLlamaCake

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I have decided to tweak my AMCAS school list a little bit as well as apply to some DO schools (still figuring out which ones). Thanks!!

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
You say two years later - when did you take your MCAT? You should check and make sure it hasn't expired for each of the schools you're applying to - they all have different policies on what the earliest MCAT they'll accept is.

MsLlamaCake

2+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
You say two years later - when did you take your MCAT? You should check and make sure it hasn't expired for each of the schools you're applying to - they all have different policies on what the earliest MCAT they'll accept is.

Somehow missed your reply a while back. I took my MCAT 05/20/2018 and applied that summer for 2019 matriculation. My MCAT is good for all schools I’m applying to for 2021 matriculation and would be good for about half the schools I’m applying to if I really would want to apply a third time if unsuccessful.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads