Reapplying after AOA Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychhdo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year DO student that scrambled into an AOA transitional year this cycle. I am a little confused about how to navigate applying again next cycle. I plan to apply IM/FM.

1. From what I understand, because my transitional year is at an AOA program that is not yet pre-accredited with ACGME, my internship will NOT count toward my residency if I match into an NRMP program next cycle. Is this correct?
  2. If the internship program becomes pre-accredited before I finish, will it then qualify for NRMP programs to give me some credit for the time I spent in the internship?
  3. How do I apply to PGY2 AOA positions? Just call/email directly? Or apply on ERAS?
  4. Basically, I want to try to get as much credit in residency as I can for the internship, and from what I understand, reapplying to PGY1 spots on ERAS will likely not allow me to get any credit for the internship, correct?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 4th year DO student that scrambled into an AOA transitional year this cycle. I am a little confused about how to navigate applying again next cycle. I plan to apply IM/FM.

1. From what I understand, because my transitional year is at an AOA program that is not yet pre-accredited with ACGME, my internship will NOT count toward my residency if I match into an NRMP program next cycle. Is this correct?
  2. If the internship program becomes pre-accredited before I finish, will it then qualify for NRMP programs to give me some credit for the time I spent in the internship?
  3. How do I apply to PGY2 AOA positions? Just call/email directly? Or apply on ERAS?
  4. Basically, I want to try to get as much credit in residency as I can for the internship, and from what I understand, reapplying to PGY1 spots on ERAS will likely not allow me to get any credit for the internship, correct?

It depends some acgme residencies like PMR and anaesthesiology will give you credit for youbinter year, if you apply for categorical IM for example you won’t get credit though. I would recommend reapplying to AOA programs through ERAS if you are trying to get credit from some of your TRI year, but most TRI find PGY2 positions by emailing after the soap.

1) Right. ACGME programs require ACGME training doesn’t matter what specialty. You’d have to start over at PGY-1.
2) Maybe, ask your program how far along they are in this process - if they haven’t started or submitted their plan to the ACGME it’s unlikely they will have any change in status in the next year. I don’t know if a change in status would be retrospective to include your training or not.
3) Sorry, not a DO.
4) Sadly yes, which is why so many TRI spots go unfilled each year. Fortunately IM and FM are short training programs and finding an open PGY-2 you’d be competitive for would be a long shot so you’d probably have to start from the beginning anyway.

Thank you both for your replies!

So when FM/IM programs post this on the AOA opportunities page:
"Attention new trainees! This program will grant residency credit for the 1st postdoctoral year of training. Students will "Match" directly into this residency and the 1st postdoctoral year will be considered the first year of residency training."
Does that not mean that you can apply in the AOA match for PGY2 position?

Thank you both for your replies!

So when FM/IM programs post this on the AOA opportunities page:
"Attention new trainees! This program will grant residency credit for the 1st postdoctoral year of training. Students will "Match" directly into this residency and the 1st postdoctoral year will be considered the first year of residency training."
Does that not mean that you can apply in the AOA match for PGY2 position?

I believe that just means that the internship and residency are tied together.
Referring to how previously traditional intern years were required. Congrats on the position!