reapplying after Late first application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desperad0oo7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

let's make this quick and to the point.
stats for first application (2010-2011)

3.5 GPA (both) from top 5 liberal arts college. However, in the two semseters before the last I managed to drop my GPA from 3.7 due to personal circumstances. I did not explain these on my application.

MCAT 1st time: 33Q 10ps,9vr,14BS (fluke, not much studying) MCAT 2nd time 33Q 11PS, 10VR, 12BS(bad luck this time as I was averaging 35-36 on my preps).

3 years of research experience. 1 at the undergrad level w/ thesis honors + 2 years full-time research assistant at a top research institute. (at the time was one year into job).

some significant international clinical experience, non in the US however.

2 expected publications in the pipeline

applied strictly to MD-PhD programs (13 total)

1 interview - waitlisted for MD-PhD (didn't make it :( ) and now on waitlist for MD-only for the same program and that's it.

However, last time I submitted my primaries at the end of august/approved mid October and my secondaries were rushed.

Improvements/changes:

2 coauthor publications are now confirmed and scheduled for print/publication. 1 first author in the pipeline.

more research experience

better knowledge of application process/statements/what schools are looking for. will explain drop in grades.

1 extra letter of reference from a postdoc I worked with

I became a featured alumnus on my college website.

will apply to a few MD-only programs

Will apply very early.

less top-heavy application

My question is, given the workload and demand at my full-time job, coupled with the application process for med school I did not really have the chance to drastically change my application profile. Will making the above adjustments improve my chances enough for this cycle? anythings I need to consider?

I am an International student.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is the biggest reason. You're stats are good, got the ECs and numbers to boot...but your stats are those of a solid US applicant. Internationals' need higher stats because (1) you are competing against a much smaller pool of applicants, (2) you are not a US born citizen (or I assume not naturalized) and thus don't have preferential status for US Med schools, and (3) the name of the game is "what can my new med student do for this country's health care and people"...honestly, you are looked at as someone who may or may not stay in the country after graduation, and thus are a gamble.

Hope I have made your predicament clearer on the bureaucratic end.

I am an International student.

My thoughts:

(1) being an international student makes it much more challenging to get in to medical school. I would suggest applying more broadly and apply to schools that accept international students (read the MSAR), such as private schools. Private schools does not have the same restriction as public schools that received government support to train physicians.

(2) I personally think that you should talk about the personal incidence that cause you to drop your GPA significantly. It will help them understand why you did poorly during those period ? It can only help, unless it's a totally inappropriate circumstance.

(3) Also, work on your personal statement. Writing an effective personal statement goes a long way. Talk about why you want to pursue an MD in the U.S. versus somewhere else...

Members don't see this ad :)
(3) Also, work on your personal statement. Writing an effective personal statement goes a long way. Talk about why you want to pursue an MD in the U.S. versus somewhere else...

ditto this...like I said in my post above, why should a US med school dedicated to US citizens and students choose YOU, a foreigner who has no stake in the country. They will want to know why you are so gung-ho about coming here for med school, and not a fine institution in your home country. WHY break the mold where so many either do not because of political or economic reasons?

Also, as stated above, some schools do accept above the average # of internationals. However, this is only a handful, and the criteria are harsh. State schools are futile to apply to, they are required to accept in state, full citizen/residents. Private schools are your best bet...but be careful, even they have a duty to the local community and must choose applicants based off the future prospects to this country's health system. Again, you are still a gamble in their eyes. You need to put the committees at ease about your international status.

Perhaps if you did some other education in the US before med school (master, post-bac, some grad classes) you would look more serious and "rooted" to this country than some fresh off the boat applicant.

All in all, times are tough and the economy sucks here. Good solid US applicants are getting the axe for no other reason than there is a surge in US applicants, and everyone wants to go back to school. It's not exactly the best of times for someone from Left field (or right field, depending on where your home country is) to jump in the pot, so to speak.

dont forget to get some shadowing experience. It is very important to have at least 1 primary care and 1-2 other types if you can manage it. Then reflect on some of those experiences

I understand that being an international student puts me at a disadvantage. But here is the deal, I left my home country at 16 and been studying abroad ever sense (24 now). after college in the US I also worked at a US university doing research for 2 years. My future goals may or may not be in the US since I am interested in global health research as a long-term goal but I definitely can't go home if I am to achieve any of these goals. So my question is, do you think such long-term goals will hurt my chances? I definitely prefer to continue having my career be based in the US but I think I would like to do some traveling at some point.

I also have a shadowing experience that I have done internationally (not in my home country).

I might be able to squeeze in some shadowing experience this fall.

Reasons behind my terrible drop in grades were 3 successive deaths of friends/family + bad break up. Gonna be a challenge weaving that into my PS. may have to focus on one reason and reflect on how it changed me.

also is retaking the MCAT to update midseason an option?

So I think I will put in my PS how I had the option of studying medicine after High school in my home country and what were the things about a US-based career that made me choose that path. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I understand that being an international student puts me at a disadvantage. But here is the deal, I left my home country at 16 and been studying abroad ever sense (24 now). after college in the US I also worked at a US university doing research for 2 years. My future goals may or may not be in the US since I am interested in global health research as a long-term goal but I definitely can't go home if I am to achieve any of these goals. So my question is, do you think such long-term goals will hurt my chances? I definitely prefer to continue having my career be based in the US but I think I would like to do some traveling at some point.

I also have a shadowing experience that I have done internationally (not in my home country).

I might be able to squeeze in some shadowing experience this fall.

Reasons behind my terrible drop in grades were 3 successive deaths of friends/family + bad break up. Gonna be a challenge weaving that into my PS. may have to focus on one reason and reflect on how it changed me.

also is retaking the MCAT to update midseason an option?

So I think I will put in my PS how I had the option of studying medicine after High school in my home country and what were the things about a US-based career that made me choose that path. Thanks guys.

Honestly I think you are a stellar applicant. I am international myself and have friends who are also internaitonal, we all got in and our MCATs were lower than yours. Just apply broader and check for schools that accept alot of internationals. I felt the need to write because alot of SDNers seem to be of the attitude that internationals NEVER or HARDLY EVER get in, but in my case I have seen a good number get in. So PLEASE BE ENCOURAGED!!!

Bump.

Thank you for the encouragement! I just got into med school at Tulane!! so excited. So many people will tell you it's impossible but I too had friends do it. The key is not giving up.

Congrats! I'm also an international who re-applied and got in. Never give up!