reapplying after leaving early in intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cali-ob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've resigned my position in my PGY-1 program after only 2.5 months. I've been so unhappy and stressed and have decided to switch specialties. My PD was aware of my unhappiness and had been very supportive. I have already applied via ERAS and have several interviews lined up. My concern is the "PD" letter..... I've only done basically 2 rotations in my current program. How can my PD write a letter of support for me? One of my LORs is coming from my clinic preceptor, who can adequately speak on my clinical skills and qualifications. But if I only have evals from 2 months of rotations (one of which was Ultrasound with no supervision) can my PD really write me a letter that will satisfy any prospective programs? I am really worried about this being a potential road block to me matching.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've resigned my position in my PGY-1 program after only 2.5 months. I've been so unhappy and stressed and have decided to switch specialties. My PD was aware of my unhappiness and had been very supportive. I have already applied via ERAS and have several interviews lined up. My concern is the "PD" letter..... I've only done basically 2 rotations in my current program. How can my PD write a letter of support for me? One of my LORs is coming from my clinic preceptor, who can adequately speak on my clinical skills and qualifications. But if I only have evals from 2 months of rotations (one of which was Ultrasound with no supervision) can my PD really write me a letter that will satisfy any prospective programs? I am really worried about this being a potential road block to me matching.

Leaving a program in the first few months is always a "red flag" issue. A PD letter is important, even though as you say they only have 2.5 months of experience you want a letter that explains why you left, that you left on good terms, and that you didn't "fail out". If you have a good relationship with your previous PD, you should ask for letter.

Ok..... Why is it such a red flag, if I clearly address in my personal statement why I want to switch? Is it so uncommon that a person would realize early on that a certain specialty isn't for them and that they want out? I guess it would make more sense if I was just switching programs, but specialties all together? Isn't it better to decide earlier?

Prog director... on my app, it is clear that I am a grad of 2007 who started a residency program in Ob in July and am now already switching. If I am already getting a high number of interviews doesn't that seem to imply that these particular programs don't see it as that much of a red flag? Or is it still a big area of concern that I should look out for?

Ok..... Why is it such a red flag, if I clearly address in my personal statement why I want to switch? Is it so uncommon that a person would realize early on that a certain specialty isn't for them and that they want out? I guess it would make more sense if I was just switching programs, but specialties all together? Isn't it better to decide earlier?

Prog director... on my app, it is clear that I am a grad of 2007 who started a residency program in Ob in July and am now already switching. If I am already getting a high number of interviews doesn't that seem to imply that these particular programs don't see it as that much of a red flag? Or is it still a big area of concern that I should look out for?

I can only speak for myself.

Your PS mentions that you left because you didn't like the specialty. Apparently you discovered this within 2-3 months, which is (in general) a short period of time. How do I know you didn't fail out of your program? How do I know you were professional about the whole thing?

So, I certainly support you if you decided early that your specialty is wrong for you. Completing the year because of the NRMP match, or some perceived requirement to finish a year is crazy. However, you should give your program reasonable notice (many would consider that 60 days, maybe 30 -- it will usually be in your contract), so that would potentially have you resigning within the first 1-2 months.

Of note, the last two people I took in my program with the same story (both unhappy in their fields) both dropped out of my program -- one to go back to the field they left, the other to switch programs again.

Your PS mentions that you left because you didn't like the specialty. Apparently you discovered this within 2-3 months, which is (in general) a short period of time. How do I know you didn't fail out of your program? How do I know you were professional about the whole thing?

So, I certainly support you if you decided early that your specialty is wrong for you. Completing the year because of the NRMP match, or some perceived requirement to finish a year is crazy. However, you should give your program reasonable notice (many would consider that 60 days, maybe 30 -- it will usually be in your contract), so that would potentially have you resigning within the first 1-2 months.

Of note, the last two people I took in my program with the same story (both unhappy in their fields) both dropped out of my program -- one to go back to the field they left, the other to switch programs again.

Sorry you experienced that ProgDirector - that really must shed a bad light on residents switching for you! You'd think they would've just stayed to save FACE!! :rolleyes:

wow! Way for those people to make it harder on the rest of us! I'm sorry you've had to deal with that. I can only try to convey my sincerity to the folks in charge during this round... I mean, you can never guarantee the future, I certainly never thought this would be happening to me (not liking Ob/Gyn) but I think who I am and what I want has just changed and it's just not a good fit at all. So all I can do is try to stay true to who I believe myself to be, try to trust in my own judgment (again) and go for it with all my heart.