Reapplying Back-to-Back Cycles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMcMuffins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some general advice and opinions for reapplying!

As the 2018 cycle comes to a close I know I'm going to reapply. Basically what hurt me was my MCAT of 502. So I am definitely planning to retake, but since that was the only outlier on my app do you think it is okay to immediately apply for the 2019 cycle? I only applied to 5 schools since I kind of knew I wanted to take a gap year and retake the MCAT.

I've kept up with two weekly volunteer gigs, been promoted at work in my research lab, kept a 4.0, and continued with school activities and leadership positions. Is this enough change to my app to be significant as long as my MCAT increase to about a 507 at least? Thanks!! Any and all opinions will be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Do well on your MCAT and then come back and discuss.

I applied last cycle towards the end and was told to reapply the next cycle's start, since my stats were pretty average (501 balanced mcat, good cGPA [3.7] and sGPA [3.8]). Granted my application was sent to basically new schools since I'm a realist and I'd rather have a trans-urethral-resection of my prostate than have to take that test again.... but come August I'm going to a fully accredited DO school and couldn't be happier

good luck mr. reese

Members don't see this ad :)
As the 2018 cycle comes to a close I know I'm going to reapply. Basically what hurt me was my MCAT of 502. So I am definitely planning to retake, but since that was the only outlier on my app do you think it is okay to immediately apply for the 2019 cycle? I only applied to 5 schools since I kind of knew I wanted to take a gap year and retake the MCAT.

I've kept up with two weekly volunteer gigs, been promoted at work in my research lab, kept a 4.0, and continued with school activities and leadership positions. Is this enough change to my app to be significant as long as my MCAT increase to about a 507 at least? Thanks!! Any and all opinions will be helpful!
Yes and yes.

Just wanted some general advice and opinions for reapplying!

As a former back to back to back re-applicant, I'd say apply as long as you significantly better your app and make sure you don't overlook anything. I cant vouch for the MCAT score as I'm not aware of the new scoring system. I ended up at my dream school, made lifelong friends, and am now an intern in another city.

I'm a successful back to back reapplicant and the only thing that I have changed this cycle was my school list (which was very top heavy last cycle) & my essays. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Successful back to back Reapplicant. Speaking to the suggestions above about school list: it depends how drastically your MCAT score improves. In my personl experience, my state schools liked to see the persistence and commitment to their programs. Changing my OOS school list helped 0%.

I know this thread has been dead for a while but just trying to see if anyone has any info on GW reapplicant info? I got an II jan last cycle and now for sept this cycle, which i think is a good sign but trying to see if theres anyone who knows more about the situation.