Reapplying for family medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lbj4life

Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be starting as a PGY1 in path this July. Path was the back up specialty I applied to. I applied to both psych and path. I've grown increasing concerned about job prospects and the number of fellowships required these days just to find a job. I also feel like I'll miss clinical care. I've decided I want to reapply to family medicine during my PGY1 year. Im a DO with step 1 220s step 2 240s Level 1 620s level 2 500s. Im top quarter of my class. Assuming my PD will write me a decent letter, how risky do you think it is to reapply for FM? I understand I may lose my current spot in my residency when I tell my PD my plans about reapplying.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I will be starting as a PGY1 in path this July. Path was the back up specialty I applied to. I applied to both psych and path. I've grown increasing concerned about job prospects and the number of fellowships required these days just to find a job. I also feel like I'll miss clinical care. I've decided I want to reapply to family medicine during my PGY1 year. Im a DO with step 1 220s step 2 240s Level 1 620s level 2 500s. Im top quarter of my class. Assuming my PD will write me a decent letter, how risky do you think it is to reapply for FM? I understand I may lose my current spot in my residency when I tell my PD my plans about reapplying.
Stay away from path. It's somewhat risky but if you can get good FM LORs, you will be fine with your states.