DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I suggest taking some more undergrad upper div science. Your BCPM GPA is not that bad, but it's not helping you.

If you can get a better paying job, or a more interesting opportunity, you don't have to keep working in a hospital. You already did that for multiple years. Worry about academics (GPA & MCAT).

After you get a competitive (32+) MCAT, do a full refresh of your essays and EC descriptions. At least one new letter, at least one substantial new EC.

Best of luck to you.

About the Ads

K31

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Ochem II brought my BCPM down a lot (got a C in the class). Would it be better to take selective upper division science courses or re-take the pre-req classes to get all A's?
Retaking classes you didn't do well in (especially C or less) will bring your grades up faster for DO schools (doesn't work for MD) via grade replacement than taking upper-level courses would.

MacNCheesy

7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello everyone :)

To be blunt, I applied in summer 2010, got no love in 2011, and now I am stuck trying to figure out what I can do to improve my application for summer 2012. I already know I need to bring up my MCAT a lot and will be doing so with The Berkeley Review (heard tons of great reviews for this course). Below are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.58
BCPM GPA: 3.34
AO GPA: 3.74
Major: Secondary Education (Biology)
MCAT: 24R (8-8-8)...:( like I said, will fix
-Completed Undergraduate Honors Program...got awarded Highest Honors Degree and graduated "With Distinction"
-Completed research thesis and presented at a couple of research symposiums

Volunteer/Experience:
-Worked as a medical assistant for 3 years at a clinic, with 1.5 of those years also working as the main medical assistant for the Team Physicians of my university's athletic teams
-Wish Granter for Make-A-Wish Foundation for 2 years and going
-Taught high school students math and science for 2 years
-Coached High School Judo Team for 3 years and my club team for about 5 years (black belt)
-EMT-B certified in California
-Licensed to teach Biology in my home state

I was wondering if my extracurriculars looked okay and what I should do in the random limbo year while studying for MCATs (planning to take Jan 2012).
I currently got a job as a Unit Secretary at UCLA hospital for the CCU/MICU floor. However, do you think just having a job and taking the MCATs seems like enough to fill my "gap year" or should I do more?

I appreciate any advice :) Thanks so much!
Sent you PM.

About the Ads