Reapplying to psychiatry residency as an FM intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

So I was able to scramble into FM after not having gotten into psychiatry residency. I was wondering, when I reapply to psychiatry next year either as PGY1 or PGY2 and say I don't get into any program, do I end up losing my currently family medicine residency?

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

you will presumably have to resign from your FM program to enter the match. If you apply for programs outside the match you might not have to resign if you are unsuccessful (but then presumably would also apply for PGY1 spots). in short: yes.

do the year in FM , then apply to start as a pgy2 in psych outside of the match during your intern year. many programs have spots open: cornell, yale, UW, GW, etc. Just contact them around august to september

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
do the year in FM , then apply to start as a pgy2 in psych outside of the match during your intern year. many programs have spots open: cornell, yale, UW, GW, etc. Just contact them around august to september
August or Sep I'd have already stared fm pgy2.

Also this year there was hardly any spots left after the match

Also my intern year doesn't have any psych rotation. I have no idea why any program would want to take me as pgy2

You will not be able to fast track, but you do qualify to come in at a PGY-II. If you show 4 months of medicine you can finish all requirements in 3 years. If you have any neurology, even better.