Reapplying to residency, how to approach current PD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineeredout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if one is in the position where he did not match to a desired specialty, scrambled into a medicine residency program, but still wanted to take one more shot at reapplying, how do you even go about approaching the current PD about this? From my understanding, applying as a resident you require a letter from your PD in lieu of the med school deans letter.

My concern is if I do not match again, I would prefer to remain in my current program. Is there any chance that they could not keep me on in the residency program because I tried to leave since we're only under year by year contracts? Plus, would this PD trash me in the letter they have to write?

All this is made more difficult by the rapid timeframe that is required to reapply. I feel like there isn't enough time for him to even get to know me

Members don't see this ad.

Your last sentance somewhat sums up the situation.

Presumably you are just starting in this program -- either currently in orientation or just about to start. ERAS opens in Sept, so you'll need to ask for a letter no later than the beginning of August. At best, your letter will say "engineeredout just started in our program, so far isn't a huge screwup". At worst, it will say "engineeredout scrambled into our THREE YEAR residency program. One month into it, he/she came to me and told me that they want a different field. Hopefully they won't do the same to you."

Some people apply without a PD letter. Whether programs will care or not is very individual.

Remember that getting time to interview can be a problem also. You can't simply take weeks off, like you did in medical school. Some programs will help you with this, and some will not.

Another problem is the other end of the timeline. Match day is mid March. You may be required to sign a new contract before then. If you were in my program, I'd want to fill the PGY-2 spot you might leave open with someone else. Problem is, all the good people are usually looking for a commitment before March. I do help interns in my program who end up in this situation, but I'm also very clear that I'll be looking to fill their PGY-2 spot. If I find someone I'll let them know, and they will need to make a decision.

Last thing, if you didn't match this last round you need to ask yourself how you've made your application better. Scrambling into an IM spot isn't going to impress many. If you haven't done anything to improve your application since March, you need to be concerned that the results may be the same. If you have, then you might have a decent chance.

Each situation is different. And what the aProgDirector states applies for his own residency program and how he handles that situation. If you are in a 3 year residency, than I must assume even by scrambling into the slot your present director "expects" you to stay for 3 years. Or was this a preliminary position? You did not specify. Maybe this should have been discussed during your scramble interview, or maybe it was, again you did not state. Others experiences could help/advise you in an appropriate manner to handle this. From my perspective if you are ONLY guaranteed 1 year than I would met with your PD and advise him/her that you plan to apply for another slot. It is a gamble but that is your choice. PM if you wish to discuss further.

If you were planning on reapplying you should scrambled into a TY slot or a prelim medicine slot. Taking a categorical 3 year medicine slot and then trying to leave after one looks very bad IMO. This is why we have one year programs. Your program ip will be forced to find a PGY2 to fill your slot which is not as easy as a pgy1 post match scramble. I would not be super inclined to help you out. To me it looks like you didn't match, and intended to reapply for your primary choice. But instead of taking a one year slot and reapplying, you took a 3 year sot so that if they reapply didn't work out, you'd still have a residency slot for 3 years. You used your program.

I def agree with aPD. What have you done to make your application better? What are you going to do to make sure you don't go unmatched again? I think it's a big gamble. This time if you don't match it won't be as easy to scramble if the new program knows you will leave the first chance you get.