Reapplying: UMaryland No Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS student

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I could really use some advice. I am reapplying to dental school after not getting accepted last cycle. Last year I only applied to two schools, which was a horrible mistake on my part. My stats are okay, graduated with departmental honors and a 3.6 GPA, DAT 21AA, 22TS, 13PA. I've also done ton of volunteering and anything that you can think of including research and working as a dental assistant. I had an interview at Maryland last year, but it went HORRIBLE. I reapplied this year with hopes of getting in and they sent me an email saying that the interview is being waived because I had one last year. Im not sure whether that is good or bad. Im a MD resident and feel that a big part of me not getting in last year is because of the interview. I've grown a lot since then and know a lot more about the field and think that another interview would help my case.

Does anyone know whether they will use the interview from last year in their decision? Should I ask if I can have interview this cycle? I know my PAT score is low, should I retake the DAT? Thanks for any help you can provide, and GL to all those applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi SDN,

I could really use some advice. I am reapplying to dental school after not getting accepted last cycle. Last year I only applied to two schools, which was a horrible mistake on my part. My stats are okay, graduated with departmental honors and a 3.6 GPA, DAT 21AA, 23TS, 13PA. I've also done ton of volunteering and anything that you can think of including research and working as a dental assistant. I had an interview at Maryland last year, but it went HORRIBLE. I reapplied this year with hopes of getting in and they sent me an email saying that the interview is being waived because I had one last year. Im not sure whether that is good or bad. Im a MD resident and feel that a big part of me not getting in last year is because of the interview. I've grown a lot since then and know a lot more about the field and think that another interview would help my case.

Does anyone know whether they will use the interview from last year in their decision? Should I ask if I can have interview this cycle? I know my PAT score is low, should I retake the DAT? Thanks for any help you can provide, and GL to all those applying!

IMO, you basically have two red flags at this point. Any score as low as 13 (even in a relatively unimportant section such as QR) is a red flag, especially in a section such as PAT that is deemed "Very Important" by UMaryland. If you have the time and tenacity, try taking it again. Otherwise, your scores look good.
In what way was the interview THAT "horrible" as you claim, if you don't mind me asking? Not sure why they waived an interview, but I would strongly suggest against asking them for an interview. Could be even more counter-productive.

Thanks for the comment. I guess I was really nervous at the time and I had trouble answering some of the questions. I could tell that the interviewer stopped paying attention after he asked the first question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake. I mean I don't really get how some one could get a 13, thats like 30/90 right...

You are obviously a bright individual, with your GPA and AA. Why in the world did you not retake your DAT? I really am not trying to be condescending, but truly, that is just a bad PAT score. I'm sure with a bit of work, you could improve it IMMENSELY. There are a few programs out there that you could use. If your PAT score improved, I think your chances for admission would be greatly improved. Even a 16 could maybe pass, but a 13 just stands out like a sore thumb, especially since you seem so competent in all of the other areas.

I actually think it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask for another interview. Maybe just say something along the lines of, "I have greatly matured and come to realize my passion for dentistry even more over the past year. I am worried that my interview last cycle may not truly represent me as I am now. If my current application is strong enough to warrant an interview (were I not a reapplicant), I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to interview again. I am very interested in attending Maryland and am endeavoring to make myself as desirable an applicant as possible; I would be extremely thankful for an opportunity to "try again" with a new interview."

But, that's just my thoughts.