1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Reapplying, Waitlisted, and doing Post Bacc

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by phraud, May 15, 2008.

1. phraud

phraud Yes thats me on a unicorn

Dental Student
    I'm waitlisted at USC and NYU right now. I'm getting my application ready for the 2009 cycle and need some input.

My application hasn't changed much since last year. Other than doing more dental related extracurriculars, the only thing I can do now is a graduate program.

I was just accepted into a one-year post-bacc certificate program at VCU. I've listed the graduate program on my AADSAS, but my pending coursework is empty since I don't register for classes until later on -- maybe July? Should I wait on my application until I know what classes I'll be taking, or just leave the coursework section blank and submit my AADSAS sooner?

I'm leaning towards holding off for a while, especially since I'm waitlisted. I really don't want to spend another 1K on applications if I don't have to... but I will if it's for the best.

Like I stated earlier, this is really the only significant change on my AADSAS from last year.

Any advice would be awesome.

Oh yeah, if you're inclined to reply with I can't believe you didn't get in, I'll save you the trouble. I don't know. I've had long discussions with my bathtub and toaster, and we've concluded that maybe it's just bad luck. Either that, or I have the interviewing skills of a wooden boat. I like the bad luck theory a whole lot better.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    I believe there is an academic update window that opens up on AADSAS in December for people to update fall grades. In your case, I would not wait until August to submit, b/c it takes 4-8 wks to process. IMHO, I would submit early, and when the academic update window opens up, then update with new classes and grades. Hope that helps, good luck:thumbup:

4. sillygoose47

do you have to pay for the post-bac program at VCU?

5. nraouf

nraouf Junior Member

from my experience with the post-bac at vcu, they didnt let me register till august. i wasnt able to list the classes in progress on AADSAS, i had no transcript. just send your transcript to VCU when you register. anyways, an interview wont come from VCU till they see your 1st semester grades, that was the case with everyone for med or dent....ps i feel sorry for you, taking phis 501?

6. Smileen

Optometry Student
    Hey Phraud,

That's a bright decision! Maybe I am another unlucky person, DARNNN IT!!so add me to your list!! LOL. I am gettin Master Degree while cryin for a phone call from the school this year!!

THERE ARE MANY TALENTED PEOPLE BUT NOT ALL OF THEM SUCCEEDED AT THE SAME RATE IN LIFE!!

7. THDental

Dental Student
    Hey!
    I think your stats are high enough. Why do you need to do post-bac? If it's free,,yeah! go for it..But if you have to pay, I dun no...
    Like what you said, you got bad luck. May be, you will get good lucks later on, who knows, right?
    I'm still in the waiting list for 2 schools. I will retake DAT to increase my chance. Gud luck to both of us on NYU. May be, we will be a classmate..hahahahh..just hope for the best!

8. airsimon

Dental Student
    I think maybe they didn't like you cuz you went to SDSU and their football team sucks the big one.

Sorry, but I just had to say it.. I do hope you get in off a waitlist. If not I'm sure you'll be fine for next cycle. Just the fact that you applied twice shows schools you want it.

9. phraud

phraud Yes thats me on a unicorn

Dental Student
    Yeah, I guess I'm going to submit my AADSAS as soon a possible and just update my application later on.

The VCU post-bacc is 8K for in-state. The reason I'm doing it is because I really don't know what else I can do to improve my application. I don't want to apply again without any significant improvements on my application.

I have a meeting with Dr. Healy (VCU Dean of Admissions) near the end of this month, so I'll wait until then to see what his recommendation is for me.

I'm doing the Microbiology/Immunology program. I e-mailed Dr. Healy and asked him if he recommended a certain program, and he said to choose whichever one I wanted. I was a little confused by this, because I've talked to two or three people who told me that Dr. Healy recommended them to a certain program based on their stats.

...Haha, my school's football team does suck.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

10. trixie2126

Pre-Dental
    you shouldn't have to do anything to improve your stats, as everyone else said, they are good, esp your DAT, it's amazing.

I would apply again and continue doing dental activities to add on your aadsas. it prob was bad luck! Anyways, i would just reapply early (pass on spending the 8k, it's obvious you're smart enough for the coursework for dental school, so you dont need to prove that by doing additional schooling). Do good on your interviews, and you'll prob get in, esp since they see you are applying twice-you are obviously persistent, which is good.

Did you try calling the dental schools to see if they'd tell you why you didn't get in?

11. Sephisabin

Sephisabin Senior Member

Dentist
    I'm with everyone else in that it does sound like you had a bit of bad luck... on the up side though, USC and NYU have two of the most active waitlists later in the app period so hopefully you can get in this year. I definitely think you made a good decision on pursuing the post-bacc, even though your decision doesn't seem to be getting as much love on this board as it should. The worst thing you can do is reapply with the same stats so I, for one, agree with your decision.

12. that guy

man, i am in the exact same boat as you (same gpa, same dat except a higher pat). I have 3 waitlists and dont want to throw down a grand+ to submit this right away... im done with EVERYTHING (except the transcript matching form- but they said itll be in by the end of the week). so im basically ready to pay this if i have to.

Do you think we can hold off the e-submit for a while? (i know at this time there are alot of ppl coming off lists and just maybe phraud and i can get off the damn lists)

does AADSAS send them all out in cycles -like at the end of May? I cant imagine anyone getting everything in by May 15 and them sending these right away.