Reapplying with MCAT and Misdemeanor issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebelhoward

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed for privacy concerns

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have an amazing potential story that I am sure you are not telling. Religious Studies > Misdemeanor > MS in biomedical studies/Med School. You essentially have a pot of gold here and I am sure you are just not telling the right story to have the admissions committee and later the residency and state boards, look at you differently. -Admissionstomedicine

I have a few things to consider while re-applying:
1) a misdemeanor for "possession of drug paraphernalia." I am in the process of talking with a lawyer about getting this off my record (expunged, will still have to report).
2) MCAT score is 3 years old. I received a 31 (10BS, 10PS, 11VR).

My options as I see them in no particular order:
1) Retake the MCAT and re-apply
2) not retake the MCAT and only re-apply to schools that take scores older than 4 years (which, unfortunately does not include my home school, Minnesota).
3) Apply to Caribbean medical schools.

A bit more info- the only school (DO) that was kind enough to give me application feedback said (paraphrase) " you have done well improving your academic record, have good MCAT, good history of service... the only thing that worries us is your misdemeanor, which we believe will make it hard for you to get a residency in our state..."

I have a B.S in religious studies with a poor math/science GPA (3.1) and an M.S. in biomedical sciences with a 3.65. I am hesitant to risk the good MCAT score, would like to be able to re-apply to home state, and am worried that this misdemeanor will plague me. I am also getting sick of taking gap-years to work/volunteer/do post bacs, etc. I want to get this ball rolling. Hesitant to do Caribbean because I know that there are now more med-students than residency spots in the us. Thoroughly confused!

If anyone would care to chime in I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

What type of drug paraphernalia are we talking about and how many years ago? Even if weren't an issue with residency/licensure, I think you're going to be a tough sell if this is related to something harder than pot.

You need to find out more about residency and licensure with such a misdemeanor. My impression (which could be incorrect) is that when you apply for your medical license, that is the time the misdemeanor will be considered and that it will be addressed on a case by case basis such that a med school adcom and even residency will not be able to predict the outcome. If that's the case, they're ever going to be afraid that they're training you for naught while helping you accrue debt. If their fears are totally founded, the Caribbean shouldn't even be on the table -- they'll be happy to educate you, take your tuition, and then watch you sail off into the sunset with $400k in debt and no hope of ever practicing. They will not care when you don't match and will not put in the extra effort/advising/help that you might need. Keep in mind that even if they educate you, you're not just going to be applying to residency as a Carib grad, but as a Carib grad with a drug related misdemeanor . . . you're not going to be in the top of the pool of applicants they're putting forth. In all honesty, if it turns out that the DO school's fears are founded, even if a school on US soil gave you a chance, I'd be wary of accepting admission unless you're ok with the debt even if you can't practice.

You also need to find out how it would impact your ability to work at hospitals on rotations. Hospitals run separate background checks from med schools, and they can have their own criteria for who they will allow to work -- it is possible (but rare) to be "ok" in the eyes of a med school but then completely ineligible to train at their teaching hospitals.

Are there really enough schools that take MCAT > 3 years for not retaking to be a realistic option?

If your misdemeanor makes you look really stupid/morally corrupt, etc., you will also benefit from more time elapsed and experiences that show you've matured, been a strong/hard worker, and demonstrate good decision making and integrity.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% agree with my young colleague.

If your misdemeanor makes you look really stupid/morally corrupt, etc., you will also benefit from more time elapsed and experiences that show you've matured, been a strong/hard worker, and demonstrate good decision making and integrity.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Last edited:
And basically what I said in my personal statement was, I wanted to do conflict resolution so I chose religious studies, but after some time abroad realized that medicine was a better/more non-political way to reach people in need of aid. Didn't mention the misdemeanor. Then I went on to talk about improving the academic record.

Not asking for a really detailed response, but a quick "you're on the right track, or not" would be great! :)

again, thank you all for the feedback!

PM me, that convo should not be public. -Admissions to medicine