I have a few things to consider while re-applying:
1) a misdemeanor for "possession of drug paraphernalia." I am in the process of talking with a lawyer about getting this off my record (expunged, will still have to report).
2) MCAT score is 3 years old. I received a 31 (10BS, 10PS, 11VR).
My options as I see them in no particular order:
1) Retake the MCAT and re-apply
2) not retake the MCAT and only re-apply to schools that take scores older than 4 years (which, unfortunately does not include my home school, Minnesota).
3) Apply to Caribbean medical schools.
A bit more info- the only school (DO) that was kind enough to give me application feedback said (paraphrase) " you have done well improving your academic record, have good MCAT, good history of service... the only thing that worries us is your misdemeanor, which we believe will make it hard for you to get a residency in our state..."
I have a B.S in religious studies with a poor math/science GPA (3.1) and an M.S. in biomedical sciences with a 3.65. I am hesitant to risk the good MCAT score, would like to be able to re-apply to home state, and am worried that this misdemeanor will plague me. I am also getting sick of taking gap-years to work/volunteer/do post bacs, etc. I want to get this ball rolling. Hesitant to do Caribbean because I know that there are now more med-students than residency spots in the us. Thoroughly confused!
If anyone would care to chime in I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!